LegacyGT.com

"New" '05 Legacy GT...what mods, in what order?

Ok, I've read quite a bit and believe it or not, I've utilized the "search" function!

My car: '05 Limited, 1 owner, 47K miles, 5 auto. I've read a little about the "banjo bolt" issue. Is it really a big issue?

Also, in order of mods (and trying to keep under $5-600), what should be done first?

1. From my reading, I understand the '05 has a catted uppipe which should be gutted or replaced? Any suggestions?

2. Downpipe. Looks like ERZ catted is the way to go.

3. AP (very expensive) or get the VAG-Com cable on EBAY and get INFAMOUS 1 to tune. I understand I have to use a laptop...new to tuning so must say I'm a little hesitant to do so.

4. AVO panel filter. Doesn't sound like replacing intake is cost effective since it's a good setup from factory.

I guess that's it for now. Maybe down the road, a tb exhaust but not yet.

Must say, this is a great site and a wealth of info. Anyone know a good, respectable, shop in Northern VA (Winchester, VA) area that has worked and tuned Subaru's? Thanks!!

I think you forgot the suspension and brake mods to go with all that power :)

upgrade your discs and pads, better tires, lighter wheels

upgrade you struts, springs, bar, busings, and install under body brace

good luck ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you forgot the suspension and brake mods to go with all that power :)

upgrade your discs and pads, better tires, lighter wheels

upgrade you struts, springs, bar, busings, and install under body brace

good luck ;)

Stock discs are decent enough, unless they need replacing I wouldn't change them. 05 wheels are not heavyweights for a 17" rim. If bang for buck is your mantra then save this for later on, better places to spend money first. I think OP has already upgraded tires.

Suspension, lower braces, LCA bushings and brakes (pads/lines/fluid) yes.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I'm basically in the same boat as you are. I have decided to switch to Koni inserts as my current struts are wearing out by now... but I always think about snow handling and know that stiff sway bars are actually not a good idea on loose surfaces. That's why I'm considering installing power mods first, followed by suspension, if only because of the season.

Is my logic above sound? OP might not have to consider this factor at all given his location.

Your logic, is not sound.;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

08+ would be the only ones that have a chance to fit because they're the only ones with the same turbo set up.

But why would you want an WRX downpipe? Unless you're talking about an aftermarket one for a WRX, the point of swapping downpipes is to get rid of the restrictive cat or at least swap to a higher flowing one. Putting a stock WRX one on will still leave a couple restrictive cats in the way of exhaust flow.

It's cool; I'm with the band

yeah. i'd be looking for an aftermarket DP. just easier to find something if i also keep an eye out for used DPs off a WRX or STi.

There are plenty of used DPs available here. Msprank just started a group buy on CNT catless DPs for less than $200 brand new, and catted for less than $300. You won't find used ones for much cheaper than those are brand new.

Looks like rather than a few minor mods, I should save the money for preventative maintainence? I've read the thread in NASIOC...looks like the '05 model didn't have as many reports of pickup failure. Hope my decision to trade my Altima in wasn't one I will regret!!

Personally, as a former 2005 Stg 2 5EAT owner, I would just go Stg 1 tune from "infamous" and leave it at that for the engine.

Stg2 + on the 5EAT is beating a dead horse and a money pit. In my experience, anyway.

- Just don't brake-torque launch the 5EAT....it won't stand for that over time.

- Use synthetic and really hope the prev owner did ( at 5k miles)

- Change trans fluid and coolant at recommended intervals.

yeah. i'd be looking for an aftermarket DP. just easier to find something if i also keep an eye out for used DPs off a WRX or STi.

FYI, I thing the DP for imprezas is about 6" shorter than the LGT. A muffler shop can put the extra pipe on for you but its easier to start with the right piece.

Tune = go infamous . Period

Under six hundred ?

I say

1. Infamous1 tune

2. Epic engineering lowering springs

3. Good cold air intake (just cause it makes the car sound frikken awesome, also infamous can tune for this)

4. Hogzaust ! (free!) and sounds awesome until you get real exhaust.

Then when your ready go with a erz Downpipe, and when your REALLY ready, get a Bnr 16g or 18g and grab some injectors, retune, and have ALOT of Fun :)

dont waste money on lowering springs

go coils or stay stock

you WILL regret getting springs

Out of curiosity, why? If you leave the stock struts/shocks in you will since they are garbage and will blow out quickly, but with bilsteins or koni sports springs will do fine if you're looking for a relatively mild setup. personally the eibach prokits and konis are a good balance of looks/handling/comfort for a street car.

BTW my stock front struts were both leaking at 16K miles when I put the konis in. The car's been autocrossed once in my possession (on the stock shocks), and the original tires didn't show signs of previous abuse (we bought it at abut 13k). Based on that I would never, ever put kyb anything (or leave stock kyb anything) in a car...particularly a heavy one like a legacy.

I don't have any issues with my tein springs. It was actually my first upgrade. I don't see a point in coilovers if I'm not going to adjust anything on a regular basis.

Why pay $1k for coils that I'm going to adjust once and never touch again when I can pay $200 for springs and about the same for struts if/when they need replaced and accomplish the same thing?

There are springs specifically made for the OEM struts, and people who have run aftermarket springs on OEM struts for +60k miles without issue..

This thread (most threads like this) is full of poor advice and misinformation (with all due respect)..

There are springs specifically made for the OEM struts, and people who have run aftermarket springs on OEM struts for +60k miles without issue..

This thread (most threads like this) is full of poor advice and misinformation (with all due respect)..

And I found two leaking struts when I took the OEM suspension apart to replace the stock stuff. YMMV depending on what you expect from the vehicle.

Since nobody really knows what the OP's goals are with aside from 'modding' in general the noise ratio in this thread thread will be high as everyone has their own opinions.

V1 accessport and gs uppipe? Thoughts?

I just got a quote from AR Fab in Winchester for uppipe install. $225.

Unless that includes the part, ouch!!!!!!!:eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived