LegacyGT.com

"New" '05 Legacy GT...what mods, in what order?

V1 accessport and gs uppipe? Thoughts?

I just got a quote from AR Fab in Winchester for uppipe install. $225.

It's not impossible to do this yourself. It's just bolts and gaskets. You will need to get the car off the ground and unless you have done one before, you will spend the better part of a saturday on swapping an up pipe. Looks like three hours of shop time @$75 an hour (maybe 2.5 hrs @$90). (Lift car, drop mid, drop DP, loosen x-pipe, drop pass manifold, loosen MM, jack engine, drop up-pipe, re-install everything and properly torque.) That's reasonable for your area, and you know the job is getting done by someone competent. If you have the skills and time to do it yourself then by all means save cash.

If you are going to have them do the work I'd show up with a DP and have them install that for the same price, since the work they quoted includes the DP removal and re-install. Actually I'd have them swap the x-pipe too while they have things apart.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yah, Tommy at AR Fab said that he'd either save up for a dp and swap the dp and up at the same time since he would have to remove the dp anyway. Makes sense. I'm not competent enough to do this myself or I would.

I stick w/ a stage one flash once I get my AP this weekend. Save up for a up/dp and get that installed then flash to stage 2. Do I necessarily need a TBE for stage 2?

Since your an 05, you need up pipe and down pipe for stage 2. Your stock Y and mufflers are not a problem at this point. With a custom tune replacing the Cat-back may gain you a bit but not as much as getting the stock restrictive cats out and removing the wall of steel in front of your wastegate. If you want to change the exhaust rumble/note then go for the cat-back...

You can do the uppipe... it's a matter of unloosening bolts and making sure things get back together right... The hardest part will be finding all the stock bolts on the turbo heatshield, there are about 358 of them.. If you are doing downpipe and uppipe, you can just as well do the turbo while you are at it... ;)

Out of curiosity, why? If you leave the stock struts/shocks in you will since they are garbage and will blow out quickly, but with bilsteins or koni sports springs will do fine if you're looking for a relatively mild setup. personally the eibach prokits and konis are a good balance of looks/handling/comfort for a street car.

BTW my stock front struts were both leaking at 16K miles when I put the konis in. The car's been autocrossed once in my possession (on the stock shocks), and the original tires didn't show signs of previous abuse (we bought it at abut 13k). Based on that I would never, ever put kyb anything (or leave stock kyb anything) in a car...particularly a heavy one like a legacy.

I agree by getting really good strut, top hat, springs you can have really good handling, but u still dont have height adjustability

And for that same amount spend, id rather get pre made coils

I don't have any issues with my tein springs. It was actually my first upgrade. I don't see a point in coilovers if I'm not going to adjust anything on a regular basis.

Why pay $1k for coils that I'm going to adjust once and never touch again when I can pay $200 for springs and about the same for struts if/when they need replaced and accomplish the same thing?

Aftermarket springs on stock strut is asking for your strut to blow

Springs rides so soft...to the point where alot ppl want a firmer ride, which you'll either replace the strut or look into a coil combo

Springs usually gives less than 2 inches of drop, then ppl look for more drop...

Once u tried a good set of coils, u wont want to go back

But if your just the type of person thats happy with springs...good for u

So to sum up if your going to run Struts/springs you need to make sure your set up is balanced (proper damping to spring rate). If your running coilovers that work should be taken care of for you.

I'm running coilovers, but was real close to going bilstein/pinks at the time. (Koni's were not out yet) Price was close enough to be a wash. I decided to go with Coilovers and got the Tein basics. The have the softest spring rate of about any LGT coilover, but are stiffer than any spring/strut combo.

They are height adjustable but really you only have a small range of adjustment where the ride is decent. Didn't take that long to dial them in and have been happy with them. I'm getting close to rebuild time on them, though. Had I waited for the Koni's to come out I wouldn't have to worry about rebuild/replacement for a while longer and most likely would have been just as happy with handling/ride.

You can do the uppipe... it's a matter of unloosening bolts and making sure things get back together right... The hardest part will be finding all the stock bolts on the turbo heatshield, there are about 358 of them.. If you are doing downpipe and uppipe, you can just as well do the turbo while you are at it... ;)

+1. Do the up install as well as the dp yourself. It is very easy, once the heat shields are removed you can get the dp of in minutes. The up is a little harder. When you look at the big picture you can spend the $225 on other mods. :)

Archived