LegacyGT.com

up pipe question

im installing an autospeed turbo back in a few days. Do i really need to gut my up pipe? I am going stage 2 but I am not hard on the car and I only drive it on weekends. Is my up pipe cat really going to disintegrate nd get lodged in my turbo? anyone on here still using the catted up with aftermarket turboback?

just like max capacity said, while you're installing the turbo back you may as well install an uppipe. theyre inexpensive, and gives you the peace of mind by not worrying about the cat. plus its less restriction to the turbo, which quickens spool times. they can be found at fred beans for pretty cheap

Quick question (and I'm sure its a noob one to boot), and not to derail this thread from the OP's question:

I've seen Uppipes on eBay and such that say they will fit 05-09 legacys and nothing else. But then, some of the WRX/STI uppipes say they will fit the legacy. What gives? Are they the same bolt patterns? Thanks guys for the help.

Sorry, I'm not a big fan of Ebay. I rather buy from someone that supports this forum or the guy that Tunes my car.

For the OP when you remove the oem up pipe, you'll understand. It weights about 15lbs and is very plugged.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^^^ That or get 07-09 LGT uppipe - same fitment sans the cat. I ended up buying 07 STI up with 5K on it from nasioc for $60 shipped.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 2 weeks later...
I think I would tune. Actually, I am going to. The uppipe really didn't help my power out all that much. Just the pull from above 4k in 1st gear.

tune not needed for a UP. but it is required for a DP.

No tune needed exceptyoull throw a code until you use a 2.2k half watt resister in the get sensor plug

we just kept the sensor connected and zip tied it to harness such that it does not hang around. zero cost. OEM reliability :lol:

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

im installing an autospeed turbo back in a few days. Do i really need to gut my up pipe? I am going stage 2 but I am not hard on the car and I only drive it on weekends. Is my up pipe cat really going to disintegrate nd get lodged in my turbo? anyone on here still using the catted up with aftermarket turboback?

I dont understand. Subaru stopped using catted UP in 07+ because they recognized a major design problem/flaw and engineered a solution (air pump, etc).

Catalytic converters work because they GET HOT. They do not work when they are COLD. We all (hopefully!) know that when things get hot they EXPAND and when they get cold they CONTRACT. Metal fatigue is produced and a lot of air is blown through the fatigued metal. If you drive your car far enough that it comes to temperature and then let it cool off you are being destructive to your catalytic. It is my understanding they CAN start coming apart in as little as 60k miles (not our uppipe cat specifically but catalytic converters in general).

(Clearly some metals are specifically tempered and designed for repeated, low-temp heating such as cookware).

I dont understand. Subaru stopped using catted UP in 07+ because they recognized a major design problem/flaw and engineered a solution (air pump, etc).

Catalytic converters work because they GET HOT. They do not work when they are COLD. We all (hopefully!) know that when things get hot they EXPAND and when they get cold they CONTRACT. Metal fatigue is produced and a lot of air is blown through the fatigued metal. If you drive your car far enough that it comes to temperature and then let it cool off you are being destructive to your catalytic. It is my understanding they CAN start coming apart in as little as 60k miles (not our uppipe cat specifically but catalytic converters in general).

(Clearly some metals are specifically tempered and designed for repeated, low-temp heating such as cookware).

+10000

Add in the fact that a too rich mixture which will melt the metal, and potential carbon build up for when the mixture is to lean.

All it takes is an un-noticed miss-fire to over heat a cat.

And all it takes is just a little piece of metal or carbon to put a turbine, that turns at 100,000 RPM plus out of balance. This will destroy the bearings and after that it is all down hill.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived