LegacyGT.com

Beefin up an ej22

So i bought pistons and a crankshaft a while ago and am wanting to get them in really bad, but hypothetically what can other components handle like my auto tranny and diff handle.. Im just guessing with the stuff listed below, running 12psi i could hit 240ish hp... Would the torque bunnies shred my tranny up!? :p

Ej22t heads, pistons, crankshaft, and waterpump. and of course VF11...

Capable of handling 12psi, seems doubtful... dont really know though

Thanks! :)

The torque bunnies probably will shred the tranny up. The 4EAT used in the first gen automatic Legacy is the same transmission that was used in the H6 Subaru SVX.

Since the SVX has 230 horsepower and almost 230 ft/lbs of torque and burns through transmissions like Tiger Woods burns through condoms and cell phone minutes, the 240 HP mark you're shooting for will likely kill the transmission.

A popular modification to the Subaru SVX is the addition of an aftermarket transmission cooler. These help increase the longevity of the automatic transmissions in the SVX, and will likely help prolong your transmission as well. The bigger the cooler the better. The stock transmission cooler in the radiator just isn't large enough to keep the transmission cool with over 200 horses. Even with a transmission cooler, you will probably need a tranny rebuild eventually, but the good news is that the rest of the drivetrain should handle 240 horses just fine. Maybe keep an eye on CV shafts and U-joints, but other than that I haven't heard of anyone blowing up diffs in their SVX so you should be good to go.

Its a 2nd gen tranny is it not?

Same thing. They even take the same transmission filter and pan gasket. Some models have an extra screw-on type transmission filter similar to an engine oil filter located on the transmission coolant line. Other than that and the computer bits the internal transmission parts are virtually identical.

Archived