LegacyGT.com

ok... so theres not a lot of talk about the NA Legacy's.... no biggie.

but here's a question to everyone that reads this post. for the NA Legacy 2.5i, what intake upgrade would you suggest for some awesome performance without killing the fuel economy or the wallet tooo badly?

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

So they use the same engine, and the same stock airbox... but the GT intakes won't work on the N/A?

Granted I've never compared the GT next to the 2.5i, but they use the same engine block - so I'm assuming the intake would plug onto both cars in the exact same spot, the exact same way.

Is the MAF hookup different?

So if that is the case, is their a short ram or cold air intake for the 2.5i other than a drop in panel filter? Looking around I don’t see anything 2.5i specific.

:rolleyes:

the intakes ive seen for the gt go from the filter to the turbo inlet, an intake for the 2.5i would need to go all the way from the filter to the throttle body.

that's why they make hacksaws

So they use the same engine, and the same stock airbox... but the GT intakes won't work on the N/A?

Granted I've never compared the GT next to the 2.5i, but they use the same engine block - so I'm assuming the intake would plug onto both cars in the exact same spot, the exact same way.

Is the MAF hookup different?

So if that is the case, is their a short ram or cold air intake for the 2.5i other than a drop in panel filter? Looking around I don’t see anything 2.5i specific.

:rolleyes:

I'm sure you could make it fit, but you'd have to add more tubing and modify it to work. I don't see the point of buying a 200 dollar intake made specifically for turbo application and trying to make it fit, when, for a lot less money, you can buy a filter, piping, and MAF adapter and make your own.

Mick

no i mean... 2.5i intakes would have to be much longer than a gt intake, i wish they'de make this intake for out car, COBB makes a CAI for 04 and older legacies that works extremly well, with an inline filter and pulling air from the fender well. http://img15.exs.cx/img15/8576/caihiss7xl.jpg

thats actually a picture from a N/A impreza, but it looks almost identicaly on the 04 and older legacy's... anyone want to try and fit this on a N/A 05 legacy? :)

manifold absolute pressure on the 05's :)

That's another reason why the Perrin shortram intake would be ill-suited for the N/A application. Someone should get together with an Impreza owner that has a Cobb or Injen CAI and see if they will also fit a newer legacy.

Mick

I'd just wait for GP Moto to put one out. I have one for my '97 GT and I love it. It gives you such a boost around the higher rpm range (4000-7000) and it sounds kick ass (my girlfriend told me it sounded awesome like a race car after I gunned it passed her on I-90). If you abuse it you'll see it in your gas milage, if not it seriously rewards you (I achieved 365 miles on 14 gallons the other day and could have kept going if I wasnt beating on it). The only real good intakes you can count on are the Cobb CAI if they come out with one for the '05 and up, a Perrin one, or the GP-Moto. Whatever you do though, dont ever, ever buy a Weapon-R intake, those are such crap.

http://legacygt.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=3

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
What do You think about K&N Typhoon 69-8003TFK or AEM (just saw their aplication for 05 gt). Injen still planing to do. Which of K&N or AEM would be better for GT

I would go for the least expensive intake like the AEM shortram or APS pod intake. Just having a decent flowing cone filter should do the trick. It would be less expensive and easier to install. I doubt you'd see much of a difference between the shortrams and the CAI's as the intercooler cools the air anyway.

Mick

I would go for the least expensive intake like the AEM shortram or APS pod intake. Just having a decent flowing cone filter should do the trick. It would be less expensive and easier to install. I doubt you'd see much of a difference between the shortrams and the CAI's as the intercooler cools the air anyway.

Mick

Why would a N/A engine have an "intercooler"?

I have used Injen and AEM on my other cars and have been very satified. If i had the 2.5i i would wait for either of them to release a CAI. Dont give me any excuses about hydrolock either. I have driven thru near floods in a dropped 00 Toyota Celica GT-S and the filter stayed perfectly dry. You have to practically submerge the car and then rev the hell out of the engine to create enough suction to pull water.

You might want to try reading the post I was responding to again. The person who was asking has an LGT which just-so-happens to be a turbo vehicle. I was just giving a simple response to his question. If you're going to upgrade the intake, you would be better off with something that has A) similar to stock sized piping (larger piping can cause unmetered air to flow into the engine causing it to run lean) and B) isn't over 200 bucks. Unless you have a highly modified car with ECU tuning, you're not going to fully benefit from a shortram or CAI anyway.

The stock intake, even though it doesn't look like it, flows quite well and is engineered to smooth out the air flow. Why not just get a K&N panel filter and spend the money you saved on more cost-effective mods?

Mick

• 4 weeks later...
I just got the avo pannel filter for now and will buy whatever cai cobb makes. Their intakes for the older n/a legacy's are really nice, they are basically a straight pipe from the throttle body, to an inline filter, to the fender.

Archived