LegacyGT.com

check engine light and blinking cruise on 06 GT Lmitd

I don't know a lot about cars. I purchased my 2006 subaru GT 2.5 turbo limited w Nav (i don't know if that matters?) and 2 years ago the check engine light and cruise came on and I took it in, am currently in Miami- not exactly subaru town-just saying. anyway, they switched the gas cap and it was fine. now it happened again, 2 years later.. but when I tightened the gas cap it vanished.. then came on again again on the entrance ramp of the highway upon Excelleration. When i got to my destination, I tightened it again really hard and far. like 5 twists and it turned off. The next day it turned back on. I didn't have time to go to the dealer so I went to an auto part store and just purchased a 12 dollar gas after market cap that says it is for my model but it did not turn it off. i put the original back on and it went off. now the light turned on again. what the hell? it dives as usual. no engine sounds, nothing weird. I'm going to have to find time to bring it in, and that means waiting a long time down here. they only have 2 dealers in miami and the mechanics are busy. I have an extended subaru gold warranty-does anyone have any idea? my car only has 24k on it. thanks for any help, I am new to the forum.

The CEL and the Cruise light will usually go on at the same time. Just because the CEL doesn't mean it's the same issue as the gas cap it was before. Could be something else. Easiest thing for you to do is bring it to your dealer and they can scan the code and whatever it is should still be covered under warraty if you got extended.

I also had the same thing happen twice on my '08 2.5i. The first time it was a cylinder misfire and the second time something happened to my ignition coil and it had to be replaced. Both times the CEL was on and the Cruise light was blinking, and both were under warranty.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

well thanks. @alaskajoel: i have no idea what a a built in obd code reader is. is that something I would see in the stock GPS? @tito-b0y: I don't know if your 2.5i would have the same issues because yours isn't a not a turbo right? Either way, I think, despite knowing little, if a cylinder misfired it would run rough or differently? looks like the dealer is required, because I haven't seen a solution posted saying otherwise so far. Why disconnect the battery if it is a band-aid and not diagnosing if there is a real problem-is that what people do just to reset it? @wpgspcB: I don't see the point in going to pepboys or autozone since they cannot honor the extended subaru warranty if there is anything found to be at fault, including the gas cap.

On the 05s at least, there's a white plug and a green plug under the steering column near the fuse box. Connect these two and press the trip reset button during the sweep. (I think)...I am sure there's a thread all about it if you search. It was a pretty exciting deal when the car was brand new, and we discovered it.

@alaskajoel: i have no idea what a a built in obd code reader is. is that something I would see in the stock GPS?

And an obd code reader will spit out an error code giving the reason of the Check engine light. (example: a p0301 refers to a cylinder 1 misfire) If i remember correctly, a fuel cap error will be p0440... If it spits out a code, just google it, and it'll tell you what it's referencing. Autozone, or checker, or some place like that will do the same thing for you...they'll also try to sell you on something to 'fix' it.

Archived