LegacyGT.com

Prodrive Legacy exhaust request.

Leonardo

If you only have the axleback it is quiet but with a catless UP and DP it gets loud plus I have a wagon that's also another reason why it drones on me.

What exactly is your setup with the Prodrives? Do you have the resonator or a catback?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What exactly is your setup with the Prodrives? Do you have the resonator or a catback?

I have the STI UP and flow shorty DP and everything in between the muffler is stock. It is loud but with a nice deep tone. It doesn't sound like any fart cans out there and I have a wagon so that is probably the reason why it drones on me too.

+1...actually....................HELLA LOUD:icon_bigg

Allright,,you guys have me confused/worried as far as how loud these are.

On my STi with a full turboxs 3 inch turboback catless sytem and running a Prodrive oval tip can it wasnt that loud till you went WOT on it.plus no drone at highway speeds.

I have a set of Prodrive cans on their way to me and was expecting kinda the same.:icon_conf Am I in fr a big surprise??

Rudy

ps. I do realize your "loud" and mine may be different.+ I have the exact same setup STi up and a shorty downpipe.

there's no way two of them are going to be as loud as a single one, especially if you keep the stock resonator on there. you know that Miles at racecomp has them on his spec-B? i was going to cruise over some day and check them out myself, he's only 3 miles from my house.

jagcars..........I just installed the Prodrive on my LGT5EAT Sedan (STG 2 Cobb) and they are acceptable for my taste. I have a COBB uppipe and a FLOW shorty. The mid and the "Y" pipes are still stock. The sound is just right not too quiet and not too loud. The low note is pronounced and on acceleration you'll know you are driving a boxer. Around 60 and 80 MPH there is no droning sound but louder that stock. If what you are looking for is a little louder than stock you will like it. The sound is not obnoxious.http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

If you have a wagon the low note resonance might bother you.

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

i agree that the wagon tends to resonate more than the sedan does. but I still think it will be quieter than what he had on his last car if he keeps the stock resonator and a cat. the legacy has much better insulation than the impreza. with my stock wrx sedan I could hear the exhaust in the cabin, with my stock legacy wagon I can't hear the exhaust at all.

i guess Rudy will have to give us his opinion once he has them on there. maybe he'll even be willing to meet up with a fellow wagon owner to get a second opinion.

:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

Thanks fr all the input guys,,I've always been a fan of the Prodrive sound(not too loud,but there) so from what I'm gathering from you guys it sounds like I'll like it just fine.

If they drone a little too much fr my taste I'll just Dynamat the spare tire area and see how that sounds.

I'll get back to you guys with my impression once I get them installed.

Thanks again

Rudy

ps Rexter,, rides available anytime

i agree that the wagon tends to resonate more than the sedan does. but I still think it will be quieter than what he had on his last car if he keeps the stock resonator and a cat. the legacy has much better insulation than the impreza. with my stock wrx sedan I could hear the exhaust in the cabin, with my stock legacy wagon I can't hear the exhaust at all.

i guess Rudy will have to give us his opinion once he has them on there. maybe he'll even be willing to meet up with a fellow wagon owner to get a second opinion.

:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

I've never sat in the wagon, but I will say that my sedan is QUITE quiet, and I am very happy with the noise control level...

jagcars..........I just installed the Prodrive on my LGT5EAT Sedan (STG 2 Cobb) and they are acceptable for my taste. I have a COBB uppipe and a FLOW shorty. The mid and the "Y" pipes are still stock. The sound is just right not too quiet and not too loud. The low note is pronounced and on acceleration you'll know you are driving a boxer. Around 60 and 80 MPH there is no droning sound but louder that stock. If what you are looking for is a little louder than stock you will like it. The sound is not obnoxious.http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

If you have a wagon the low note resonance might bother you.

Sounds like it is "Wife Friendly". Any way you can post a sound clip?

Ok, I'll take your word for it. From reading some of your posts on this topic, if you think it is quiet enough then my wife should too.

I do not know what your setup is. I am still stock midpipe and Y-pipe.

One thing that I want to impress upon you is that Prodrives are known for LOW-"basso" sound. If you have a wagon, that low note resonance in the cabin might bother your wife in around town driving. Highway speed is just right.

Checkout these sound clips.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58111&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

Great clips! Thanks!!

I am only Stage1 but when I go Stage2 I want to do it all at one time: UP, DP, hopefully Crucial's catted mid pipe and a custom axle back with some pretty quiet cans. I really like the way the Magnaflows sound but I also like the Prodrives. I really wish you could post a sound clip of yours. That might help me, and others, make a decision.

I received my Prodrive mufflers yesterday,not installed yet.

But a quick observation,,,Some people have said these are the WRX Prodrive muffler just with different piping and hangers.

I don't think so,,the ones I have are definately shorter and narrower then the Prodrive oval tip I had on my WRX and STi.

I'm going to try to get these installed this week and get back to you guys with my opinion.

Rudy<<video/audio challenged as well lol

I received my Prodrive mufflers yesterday,not installed yet.

But a quick observation,,,Some people have said these are the WRX Prodrive muffler just with different piping and hangers.

I don't think so,,the ones I have are definately shorter and narrower then the Prodrive oval tip I had on my WRX and STi.

I'm going to try to get these installed this week and get back to you guys with my opinion.

Rudy<<video/audio challenged as well lol

Did you get them installed yet?

Did you get them installed yet?

Yes I did,,like others have said(and I probably didn't listen:icon_neut ) on the wagon these drone and are quite loud inside the car.On a 1-10 on inside sound levels I give it a 5.I dont do too many long trips but I could see it getting annoying after awhile.

My other two cars(sedans,WRX &STi)) had full turboback catless sytems with a Prodrive can in the rear and were not anywhere near the volume of these inside the car.It's gotta be the wagon thing with no trunk to muffle the sound.If it ever warms up I'm going to dynamat the spare tire well etc to see if this helps.

Outside the car they sound great,not too loud, but good deeper tone.Typical Prodrive sound.:)

Rudy

stg2 AP,STi upipe,Crucial shorty,stock mid,stock resonator inplace,stock y-pipe.

I actually had the chance to hear my car from the outside as some of my friends took it out for a drive. The car is really quiet from the outside, you could barely hear it but from the inside it's a different story.

jagcars26 - on freeway speeds mine doesn't drone as much as city driving.

I'm going to dynamat the spare tire well etc to see if this helps..

it's the wagon alright. I've got lachutes and have the same problem. dynamat in the trunk/wheel well does not help. trust me, I know. :icon_frow

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

hava you tried the side panels yet? That's my next step. Also, I think the other area that transfers noise is the area between the spare tire well and the bumper skin. Despite two layers on the inside part of the spare tire well, I can still hear it resonate when I bang on it. That's between the cans and I'm sure it's transferring noise. I might pick up a few cans of underbody coating spray....a few layers there from underneath should help.

Wow...this is certainly bad news.

I was really excited to get an exhaust for my LGT Wagon. As I'm already well aware, the hatch area transmits quite a bit of suspension noise into the cabin on rough roads. I was hoping I wouldn't have issues with an exhaust.

And that was my first though, dynamat the tire well. No joy? That's too bad :(

Thanks fr the replies guys,,dynamatting under the seats is another idea.Spraying undercoat may work also.It's a shame we gota do this.

Ya know,,it's interesting with Prodrive mufflers and the Legacy.The originals are too long fr some on the sedan.And the ones fr the wagon are too frigen loud inside the cabin.:confused:

Rudy

Archived