LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy gt no oil

I purchased this car last friday the 24th of september .... car had 66,7xx miles on it, i drove the car to work and just aronund and as of today the third of october it has 68,000 on it. I pulled the car in to clean it and decided to check the oil and there was none on the stick, WTF? So i put the car on the ramps and pulled the drain plug........little less then one quart of oil in the car.:mad: Well i'm quite aware this isn't good lol. I got it from a local car dealership in hamburg new york called superior auto. monday i'm taking the car back to where i got it to see what they'll do for me. I guess my question is what should i say to these people and try to get done for the car the warranty that came with the car is only for 60 days or 3000 miles. I just am so pissed and confused and quite frankly scared of the car that now it's going to blow up or the turbo will shit the bed or whatever else could go wrong so what should i do? I did fill the car back up with royal purple after draining it ..... the oil change sticker said change at 70500 miles.

Yes car was full of oil at time of purchase must be burning as i see no evidince of leakage although i had the car carwelled .... i have noticed that after the car sits for a bit ie when i get outta work theres a poof of smoke the emits out of the exhaust but goes away right after.

Sorry to say, but welcome to the crew:lol:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/causes-excessive-oil-consumption-140224.html

Oil burning has been common for me since 20k....I just give it a quart every 1200 miles and call it good. General consensus is it's the result of blow-by, or ringland failure....pray for the former. A compression check should give you a more certain answer.

• I Donated
It still ran with only a quart? I was only a quart and a half down (still had 2.7-2.9 or so) and my engine's toast. Same scenario; I just recently got it. About 2800 miles and 100 days since I bought it. It's sitting in my garage right now -- looks like I'm borrowing a bit more money to get a new longblock.

I kinda want to cry right now, not going to lie. Car is going back to the dealership hopefully they cover whatever it is that is wrong with it. Don't believe they put synthetic in it but i doubt that had anything to do with it. I hope like hell i didn't do any damage but i'm sure i'll be doing a tear down on the bitch.

Um... Full to about one quart in the engine in less than 1300 miles isn't a "welcome to the crew" scenario.

Hey i've lost a vf40 to oil failure!:) When I first bought the car, I didn't know this was an issue, and ran it down to 2.2-2.3 quarts. Luckily I haven't had to replace a motor, but given the number of poor souls that are having failures, it's no small number.

Take it back, and bitch to them about it. Make THEM do the compression test. Even if it comes back normal, that type of consumption isn't normal, and the problem will raise it's ugly head further down the road. Just know you're not the only one with this problem - there are a lot of people (myself included) that have had oil shortage problems, and VERY bad things happening as a result.

Again, Subaru itself admits oil consumption of up to a quart every 1000 miles is NORMAL. Do you think the average person that buys this car is seriously going to check the oil level every time they fill it up with gas? If 1qt/1000 miles is considered normal, that means by the time you reach the Recommended interval for changing it, you have less than a quart left in the pan...Is that really a car you want to buy second hand without service records or money stashed away for when shtick hits the fan?

Hey i've lost a vf40 to oil failure!:) When I first bought the car, I didn't know this was an issue, and ran it down to 2.2-2.3 quarts. Luckily I haven't had to replace a motor, but given the number of poor souls that are having failures, it's no small number.

Sorry to hear. My comment about him not being a member of the 1qt/1K club was based on the fact that he's conservatively consuming a quart every 371 miles (1300mi/3.5qts). Given that he was over 1300 miles, and there was less than a quart that came out of the drain plug, it's likely noticeably worse than that. It's skating dangerously close to 300% of the "acceptable" oil consumption. That throws up all kinds of red flags in my head.

Take it back, and bitch to them about it. Make THEM do the compression test. Even if it comes back normal, that type of consumption isn't normal, and the problem will raise it's ugly head further down the road. Just know you're not the only one with this problem - there are a lot of people (myself included) that have had oil shortage problems, and VERY bad things happening as a result.

Again, Subaru itself admits oil consumption of up to a quart every 1000 miles is NORMAL. Do you think the average person that buys this car is seriously going to check the oil level every time they fill it up with gas? If 1qt/1000 miles is considered normal, that means by the time you reach the Recommended interval for changing it, you have less than a quart left in the pan...Is that really a car you want to buy second hand without service records or money stashed away for when shtick hits the fan?

:whore: to the rest of this. I wholeheartedly agree.

OP - have you looked the car over to confirm there isn't any sort of oil leak? Is it blowing any smoke at any time?

Again, Subaru itself admits oil consumption of up to a quart every 1000 miles is NORMAL. Do you think the average person that buys this car is seriously going to check the oil level every time they fill it up with gas?

This is a best practice with any car. I've done this with every car I've owned. Takes a second, good insurance.

I'm burning a ton of oil (~2qts per 1000 woo!) and can't figure out where it is going (well it is going out the tailpipe, i can see it at WOT). Compression=good. Perfect looking spark plugs. UOAs good. Very little oil in the intercooler. 87000 mi. Think turbo, seems a bit noisy.

Run a UOA on the oil that is left if you can. It will likely have way too much metal.

Going to take it in after work and try to get a short block put in it .... i'll see what they have to say, Should they give me a rental you think or am i on my own for that?

I would think they would let you drive another car on the lot while they rebuild your engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

:lol::confused: I sense a lack of problem solving skills in this thread :confused::lol:

Um, before we talk about oil consumption, getting rid of a car or anything else...

OP its obvious that the company that sold you the car needs to offer you something like a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty in good faith.

I am guessing that they also sell aftermarket warranties at a HUGE markup.

If they balk at offering you an extended warranty, clearly, don't keep the car. Why argue about compression tests, waste time on stupidity or other stuff if they won't even do this.

Personally I would want the warranty AND a compression test. I love my LGT but I am not trying to buy someone else's problem. It was suggested to me that I sell the car after I was hit and it was not totaled.

Why? I want a 4th gen. Yeah it sucks, but I know it doesn't have problems. Don't let the dealer pass off a problem on you without a way to get it taken care of. At least get an extended warranty.

Yea well i've been talking to the previous owner who also is a member of this site and he said i shouldn't have a problem getting the car repaired ie a new short block. They recently replaced both head gaskets, timing belt, had the heads gone thru milled new valve seals etc and the turbo with a stock vf 40. I trully love the car and hope i can work something out with them but i can't afford to pay on a car and not drive it that's why i got rid of my mustang. So I should try for a warranty and the car to be fixed with at least rod and crank bearings and rings?

Personally I would want the warranty AND a compression test. I love my LGT but I am not trying to buy someone else's problem.

Exactly.

There are plenty of LGTs in the sea. Make them cover it or take it back.

They gave me a loaner car ... a neon wtf?! well it is a car. There going to do an oil consumption test? and compression and leak down test. They are trying to tell me that there is a chance that there was no damage done to the turbo or bottom end but I essentially told them to **** off. I'll see what they have to say .... 2-3 days

Update on the car. I called the dealer today on my break and they told me everything checked out fine and to come pick the car up and drive it 1000 miles and bring it back .... if it starts losing oil bring it right back. The car still smokes on hard accel a little bit but they drove it 300 miles and it didn't lose any oil apparently.

Update on the car. I called the dealer today on my break and they told me everything checked out fine and to come pick the car up and drive it 1000 miles and bring it back .... if it starts losing oil bring it right back. The car still smokes on hard accel a little bit but they drove it 300 miles and it didn't lose any oil apparently.

So... What are they telling you? Drive my mechanic's neon for a couple of days while he puts 300 miles on your car and they attempt to watch the oil level by checking the dipstick? Gee, great. Fantastic. Did you see compression TEST results? Still smoking on hard accel? HOW IS THAT FINE?!?!

This is full of bad juju.

So, are they buying you an extended warranty?

x2

Compression test.

Archived