LegacyGT.com

Educate Me...

Corny357

...about clutch and brake fluid and whether they are the same in our cars or not.

Reason I ask - last winter, on days where it was below -15/-20ish, when I went to start driving after letting the car warm up for a few minutes, I would depress the clutch and it would feel like I was pushing through sludge or peanut butter or something. When I let off the clutch, it would come up equally as slowly, too. This would continue for like 15-20 minutes even while driving and I don't want to deal with it again this winter.

Now, obviously it's got to do with the clutch fluid becoming very viscous in the cold temperatures. Question is, is it the same fluid as my brake fluid? And if so, does anyone have any recommendations on which particular brake or clutch fluid to replace it with? I feel like this is not normal/right and that nobody else has this problem, simply because I've never heard anyone mention it.

They have the same specification. I posted how to flush the clutch fluid years ago and it is a good idea. Flush the system and use any Dot 3/4 fluid (any, pick the cheap stuff it really doesn't matter) and it should take care of the problem if it was the fluid.

Archived