LegacyGT.com

Blew up the car -- carcass for sale

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm interesting. I've heard a lot of knocks and this sounds more like it's come from the valve train. If you have access to a stethoscope it's easier to help isolate which piston it's coming from. Or a very long screw driver and putting your ear to the end of the handle and listen.

I thought I'd post the ROM from the car so people can see exactly how it was tuned when all this happened. This started as NSFW's map and I edited it over 20+ revisions to where it is now. I slowly tweaked timing and airflow to the values you see in the file.

Download here

If you see something I screwed up, let me know!

• 3 months later...

If it was preventable I certainly would have done so. I've owned literally a dozen turbo cars in the past 20 years so I know how to take care of them. The bearing died from apparent lack of lubrication and I checked the level almost daily (car was driven maybe once a week) and had both a Killer B oil pickup and a new oil pump installed. There was no banjo filter and I installed a P&L oil line. That's about all anyone can do to guard against oiling issues, yet there I was.

TurboTime would have covered it 100% had I brought it back to them. I just couldn't afford the trip ($500+ for gas & a hotel room) so I had to sell it.

Just read through all this...my heart goes out to you John.

Sincerely hope your business does we and soon affords you another toy. Personally, I'd keep an eye out for a used G8 GXP. There was a white one for sale in WA last time I looked.

Keep in touch!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

If it was preventable I certainly would have done so. I've owned literally a dozen turbo cars in the past 20 years so I know how to take care of them. The bearing died from apparent lack of lubrication and I checked the level almost daily (car was driven maybe once a week) and had both a Killer B oil pickup and a new oil pump installed. There was no banjo filter and I installed a P&L oil line. That's about all anyone can do to guard against oiling issues, yet there I was.

TurboTime would have covered it 100% had I brought it back to them. I just couldn't afford the trip ($500+ for gas & a hotel room) so I had to sell it.

thanks for your post. So conclusion: if oil lubrication wants to fail at one point or another, NO MATTER how good of a job one takes care of his/her subie, a bearing/turbo will fail. Now THAT sucks. I mean for reals, that really sucks. I cannot lie that now I can start to be officially paranoid. I still love my car but man, that is some serious engine failure.

Anyways, though I do not know you, I do wish you all the best.

My motor did the same thing as described as Johns. It was the bearing and it went out of nowhere. Oil changes on the regular etc. There's a video on here somewhere of me trying to diagnose the crazy noise. Came back from vacation, lent the car to my roommate, boom.

Luckily I have a 2.5i and a new motor cost me 600 and a days worth of work.

Archived