LegacyGT.com

Test drived GT, moving from a BMW, comments (long)

[quote name='apexjapan']An apples and oranges comparison - the BMW was riding on a non-stock suspension vs. a very stock and middle of the road setup. [/quote] Sorry, but I have to agree... First time I drove a stock WRX, it felt much slower than my highly modified VTEC Prelude. Days later, in a head to head contest, my Prelude "got walked" (pardon the vernacular) by the same WRX. What I learned from this little escapade, is that "modified" cars may feel faster than "stock" cars, simply due to a reduction in refinement. Per Car & Driver, a 325xi runs 7.7 to 60, and 16 flat in the quarter. I would be highly surprised were they to find similar numbers for the Leg.

I still have not decided if my GT wagon needs some firming up of the suspension. It is a great compromise but my preferences are somewhat on the sporty side of neutral. I suspect that if the Legacy had about 75-80% of the stiffness of the STi suspension I had on my WRX wagon that would be a nice setup (for me). Since Paul raised the point earlier, I'm now interested in a comparison of spring rates of USDM, Japan-spec and Legacy STi springs. Of course, strut specs are in the mix too. STi springs designed for the USDM model are of interest to me. Tom

Not just springs. Subaru is very fond of tuning the suspension as a unit, springs and dampers. You might well find, in adding the JDM GT springs, that you then have too much spring for the USDM dampers. If you can, try to source the JDM spring/damper combo, so that you don't end up with unpleasant ride artifacts. Given the rampant modding of Legacies in the JDM, stock stuff should be readily available on Ebay Japan. Paul Hansen might even know of some people willing to get rid of theirs. Japanparts.com might be another supply option. I am not, and never have been a fan of just adding springs. The results are generally not good, and not even close to ideal. The car might look better, it might handle differently (vs. better), but is it really better? Prodrive springs, and STi pinks for the WRX are notable examples, but both were engineered with the stock WRX struts in mind. Kevin

Would appreciate a bit more info about 7Stars comments. Does Subaru engineering create greater AWD powertrain loss than BMW AWD or Audi AWD systems? What is the comment about upping boost or accepting loss at altitude? Isn’t turbo more effective at high elevation than normal fuel injected cars?

Install these for starter: [url]http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d46720432[/url] Current bid is 385$ plus about 50$ shipping if you win the bid and you will be set. PS there is not an over abundance of the original GT suspension for sale.[img]http://img125.ac.yahoo.co.jp/users/3/2/0/7/cts_corporation-img435x367-1081952555b1.jpg[/img] [img]http://img125.ac.yahoo.co.jp/users/3/2/0/7/cts_corporation-img552x300-1081952559b2.jpg[/img]

As I said, [quote]Of course, strut specs are in the mix too. STi springs designed for the USDM model are of interest to me. [/quote] It will be interesting to see what the country to country suspension differences are and what the available factory options are. Tom

I would think that Subaru would very pleased to hear so many experienced BMW, Audi owners seriously looking at the Leg GT and liking what they see. I would think that Sub owners that are stretching $ to buy WRX or Leg GT would be pleased to see label concious, fat cats acknowledging what smart Subaru owners have known for some time. New Leg GT/Ltd's performance, design and interior quality have captured attention. If Euro sales for new Leg are any indicator, Subaru will be rewarded.

Yeah, I am this close [-] to placing a bid to get it, but I am worried that it will really be too stiff for the Montreal roads, but what a great deal. Should I do it I am sure some-one in the US will eventually take it off my hands ;-) Can not make up my mind....

Let me first state, as so many have stated before me, this is one of the best boards I have been on, amazing information, mature discussions and so much objective feedback! Amazing. For those who have asked, I paid 46K Canadian before taxes for my 325XI. This was including a list of options such as the sport package, sunroof, heated seats, Xenon, split fold seats and the list goes on. Pretty much everything that the GT Limited comes without any extras (minus the xenon and the split fold) As for as the suggestion of looking at the STI. I did and it was not for me. In Canada, the STI is in a price zone where competition is fierce, even if performance is important to me, a sleeper and more mature look is more important. In terms of comparing apples and oranges, this is very true, none the less, it is still a dilemma I have to face. As I could not care for the brand name, for me, it is all about the "Feeling" the "Feedback" the "Passion" the car provides. Paul H. Again, thank you. Talk about great feedback! The Spec.B Suspension may just be the solution for me. All in all my ordered GT Limited in Silver trim will be at my dealer in the next two weeks, I will seriously consider it again, and will weigh my analysis based on feedback from this board. Although it may take a few days to respond, feel free to ask me any questions Thanks Francois

Yes I took the plunge again!!!! So I will have some feed back If I win the auction and get this set-up back into Montreal before the end of the summer as I will for sure not use it during the winter. The set-up will be paired with a set of Falken Azenis so I should be able to exploit the grip. We will wait and see.

I don't think you will find a huge amount of stock GT suspension sets for sale in Japan quite yet. For one, the car is still relatively new, and owners haven't paid it off enough nor gotten tired of it enough to start playing with parts that hard. And the other reason is because the stock GT suspension is quite good in stock form. I am quite happy with it as well, and that says a lot. After some experimentation with other suspension setups, I may just go back to stock. Cheers, Paul Hansen

Picked them up for 40500 JPY. They will shipped back to me via sea freight. I know the ride will be harder but hey at least we will know the differance between the spec b JDM bilstien set-up and the NA GT. I am still waiting on my car.

[quote name='nicd']Picked them up for 40500 JPY. They will shipped back to me via sea freight. I know the ride will be harder but hey at least we will know the differance between the spec b JDM bilstien set-up and the NA GT. I am still waiting on my car.[/quote] Congratulations! That's about $375, which is quite good. How many miles are on it? When is your car showing up, do you know yet? I think we're all going crazy (those who ordered, as opposed to the immediate gratification of stopping by a lot and seeing a Limited and grabbing it). I'll also be curious (no, I'm not planning anything...just curious) to know if the Legacy's suspension is as easy to work on as the WRX's. Kevin

The suspension has 2000 km from what I know for a set of blistien that is still a great price. It does have a spot of rust on the bottom of one strut. Anyway we will see how it all sets up. I will take pictures of the process but from what I can gather it is very similar to the WRX approach in terms of accessability. The wagon is suppose to arrive soon I have seen quite a few 2.5i and some Outbacks but in Montreal no 2.5GTs not counting the ones that are the dealers. But the time line is before the end of the month, they have been sent out from Indiana etc etc. I finally end ed up with the loaded pig :wink: its a RB GT LTD 5EAT my wife was tired of not being able to drive so I felt this would be a nice compramise since I no longer have time to go to the track. I will no doubt miss the direct feel of the WRX in my mind it just gave soo much driver feed back that it was a blast to drive hard. Anyway I am still waiting to put on my GC-06D 17*7.5 +48 should all fit since it use to fit on the Rex with the 215/45/17 Falkens that are nearly 9" wide!! We will see how it all fits together.

Cool. I wouldn't worry about the rust, as I'm sure it's just surface stuff. 2,000 km isn't very much, particularly as those struts are designed to be an OE part, which means you're supposed to get a lot more than 2,000 klicks out of 'em. Good purchase, and you're right, if you don't like them, there will always be a buyer. Kevin

Interesting discussion indeed! For now the stock suspension set up is great for me. Good balance between handling and ride comfort. I would like to take a driving course or two and get it on the track or to an autoX though so we'll see. Cheers! -Ian

[quote name='nicd']Picked them up for 40500 JPY. They will shipped back to me via sea freight. I know the ride will be harder but hey at least we will know the differance between the spec b JDM bilstien set-up and the NA GT. I am still waiting on my car.[/quote] Wow, only $377.71 USD! This may just be the setup for me as well! Keep us updated on the results.

Archived