LegacyGT.com

Transmition Swap

Does anyone know if it is possible to swap a 2000 legacy gt transmaition into a 1997 legacy gt?

The gear ratio is the same but i have no clue if its possible.

Can't answer that, but if your existing tranny is 4.44 and your GT is 2.5 then, depending on location, I could buy the old unit from you if the new works out. If the old one isn't dead also.

I'm trolling for a LGT tranny in 4.44 from 2.5 for my '92 Svx

Shiuludesvx, I have a tranny from my 1998 LGT that is just laying around. It has some internal pressure issues. Idk if you are savvy with working on trannys... It works ok still but it shifts rough from 1st to 2nd and has some trouble kicking down and kicking up to 3rd gear but it always gets into third in about 20 seconds.

They have different ECU plugs. You might be able to swap wiring harness but that way more work than just splicing the new tranny wires into the old tranny plug. Get a pinout and probably 30 mins later you will have plug and play. Use solder connectors if you can and heat shrink.

the transmissions that i want to switch are auto. the gear ratio is 4.44 on both and they are both 2.5's. But my main question is if the computers will match each other.

no can do!!!

the 98 is a phase 1 auto trans and the 00 is a phase 2 trans. the wiring harnesses are different and the phase 2 has more speed sensors, they look like the rear speed sensors on the 97 gt auto trans, more speed sensors on it.

no can do.

find an auto trans from a 96 - 98 2.5 L car, they all will work. GT would be best because the speedo drive gears will match, but an outback will do.

what happened to your trans??

well the problem with my trans is that it has a hard shift when i shift into drive and then into second gear, that can be fixed by changing the preasure duty selanoid a but my other ptoblem is that the car has vibration coming from the trans, which makes me think that it is i problem with the torque converter.

i don't think the torque converter will not cause vibrations, a trans mount may.

but more often that not, vibration from the trans when sitting at a stop light could be from a replacement axle. i don't really know how or why but that's what i hear.

have you had an axle replaced recently.??

after market axles can be real junk right out of the box. there are stories of folks going thru several brand new ones trying to find a good one.

well my shifting problem went away because i plugged the dopping resister in, i thought i plugged it in correctly last time i unplugged it.

the vibration comes when im driving and i know that my mount is bad so im going to fix that asap.

as for my axles--they should be fine since i just pulled them off of other subaru's

Archived