LegacyGT.com

suspicious oil leak coming from banjo bolt or not?

Hi guys.

So far my engine has 43000 miles and is running great IMO. I changed the banjo bolt on the turbo side last december; I have good power; I don't burn that much oil at all either (synthetic 5w40) and it's been 2.5 months since I changed the oil; still showing full on the dipstick. So that's good.

BUT, I have noticed an area on the driver side, top of the engine that looks like a very small oil leak. Looks to me it is coming from a banjo bolt. It is right behind the oil filler location on the driver side (see pictures attached).

Do you guys think the leak is indeed coming from the banjo bolt? If yes, looks like the washers are bad or filter is getting clogged (if there is one there?? I hope not)...

Is this common?

What would cause this?

What is the purpose of this banjo bolt?

thanks as always.

FLS_3793.thumb.jpg.f0b738ac91106d068f710ca4741e222d.jpg

FLS_3785.thumb.jpg.8ee78edb6ea22eb71b5f2a5d30576637.jpg

FLS_3787.thumb.jpg.62ebd10f8153f5c8c9c4dbc4bc4f469b.jpg

FLS_3788.thumb.jpg.014a42a1b055fa57f9606f91ef61654b.jpg

FLS_3792.thumb.jpg.ffa4068144bfaf9489c3667bdec907ca.jpg

FLS_3790.thumb.jpg.74e85c318cec25075874cb0c57df08a0.jpg

FLS_3791.thumb.jpg.aeda3c91353aa4d06ca9c7598ee942d4.jpg

IMO it doesn't look that wet. If that's all the residue it has in 5 years, I'd wipe it down and check it in a few weeks.

Only 43,000 miles, you don't drive much do you.

If you had a real leak you would have a lot more crap there or you would see a clean area because the fresh oil leaking would clean the area right around the bolt.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

IMO it doesn't look that wet. If that's all the residue it has in 5 years, I'd wipe it down and check it in a few weeks.

I actually noticed it about 3 months ago. It has stayed pretty much the same but you can tell when you look closely that the oil is a bit fresh. But there's just a very very small amount of it. I will wipe that area very well and monitor it I guess. But if there is a filter in that banjo bolt, I do NOT want to wait. Too scared to get problems with these screen filters..I am paranoid about them.

Only 43,000 miles, you don't drive much do you.

^LOL. I bought the car last year with only 35000 miles on it. They did not drive it that much. So far, I did not either cause it's gonna be a year soon already.

So what is the purpose of that banjo bolt?

Does it contain a filter like the one next to the turbo?

Can I check it with the oil in the engine? (I bet I can but I still want to ask)

What would cause that leak?

There are two copper crush washers on the banjo bolt. I think they are 10mm washers. You can buy a package of them at the auto parts store.

Do you have them in your country ?

You may be able to just tighten it up

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do you think I can check it with oil still in the engine (engine cold of course) ? I would think so cause the bolt is at the top of the engine but you never know...

I'll check the torque on the bolt and I bet I can find these kind of copper washers. But I am mostly worried to know if there is a filter in that sucker.

• 3 weeks later...

I still have not contacted Fredbeans to see what they think about it. But I think I have figured out what it is exactly thanks to the manual.

This is simply called an oil pipe that is bolt on top of the driver side's oil flow control solenoid valve. There is a very similar one on the passenger side as well. I took a picture of that side and it is nice and dry. But I have noticed that the banjo bolt head on the passenger side looks different than the driver side that is slooooooowly leaking. Passenger side banjo bolts on each end of the oil pipe have flat heads. The one leaking has the same head than the ones around the turbo. Interesting....

See attachment pix..

Back to my simple question: can I unbolt it with oil in engine? (still have not done it cause I need to get a couple copper washers :rolleyes:). But I did check if it was tightened properly. It is (21.4 ft-lbs).

enginesubiext.thumb.jpg.dbecd589bbea5363f93ba8baf5a8e1f0.jpg

FLS_4187.thumb.jpg.0cf992887372ef66d5ad895e9fd64fb6.jpg

FLS_4182.thumb.jpg.cd1fec527da3e260214e84881b59c19a.jpg

I just bought that oil leak dye for another car. It works great! Found my leak. You may want to give that a try if you still can't find the source of your leak.

^mmmh that's a good idea. Where did you get it? brand?

Sometimes banjo bolts seep a small amount. You can remove the banjo bolt and replace the crush washers. There is no no pressure in the pipe when the motor is not running so no need to worry about oil shooting out (however it will seep out).

^Yeah. I am planning to do that. I was just scared it's gonna puke for some reasons. I just need to buy these washers...

Archived