LegacyGT.com

its not a subaru but i need your help anyways

i have direct comparision between a 240sx 2.4L ka24 and my ej25d

and the nissan engine and transmission pull ahead.

But the RWD gives me shit in the winter and the turning radius is almost identical on my sedan to my dads lil nissan coupe. but in all out power the RWD might get you there faster if you dont spin out on the way

I shift very comfortably and smooth w/ enough low end tourque at 3000rpm almost every shift on the legacy, where as the nissan needs to get past 4 to really pull

• I Donated
Not if you have enough torque in a light enough car. Vipers, Mustangs, and Vettes have tall gearing. In fact, those cars will just about hit 60 in first gear. With a low redline and enough low end torque with a flat torque curve tall gearing can be a strategic advantage. When I was on a big block supermodified racing team, the cars only had 2 gears. Go and neutral, with no clutch. We would change gears out of the quick-change rear end for just about every track, in an effort to keep the 830HP fuel injected Chevy 454 (Bored to 468) at its peak torque around 6-7K RPM. If we got our gearing wrong, we got lapped within the first 5 laps. If we got it right, we could hang with the pack.

Civics and Corollas have very short gearing, and they aren't fast.

Gearing is more about finding a sweet spot that keeps the engine close to its torque band, and less about "OMFG LOWER IS ALWAYS BETTER!!!!!111"

Your 830hp big-block example is a special case. No car on the road today has a 1-speed transmission -- 4-speed is the lowest you're going to find on a new car. If you look at the options on a new Mustang GT, a 3.73 is still going to give you much better performance than a 3.33, regardless of the awesome torque curve of the new 5.0. No matter what engine you have in a street car, shorter gearing will give you better performance to a greater or lesser extent.

• I Donated
sounds like maybe the valves in the tranny are sticking when it becomes warmed up. Or possibly the tranny is overheating.

That is so much better then the lancer lol

You nailed it. Take it to Aamco or buy a new (used) trans to drop in it.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived