LegacyGT.com

Dash rattle TSB content?

Its a shame, but I think we all need to just accept the fact that the interior quality of our cars is terrible.

The only way to take care of these problems is to take the interior apart and somehow pad each piece of cheap plastic so that they no longer rub against each other.

I may have to look in to that small heat shield in the center of the dash that 05LGT mentioned...

To follow up, I could not find the content of these TSB's.

Rattle/Squeak Noise from Instrument Panel

Service Bulletin #12-96-06

Noise from Combination Meter (Revised)

Service Bulletin #08-34-05R

I gave the names and numbers to a Subaru service writer, and he later told me the first one applies to 05 and 06 Legacy's, and that the 07 was redesigned to fix the issue and the TSB does not apply. (So why do 07's still rattle?)

He said the second one applies to the Forester.

Tomorrow the car goes in again, so they can replace the "dash pad". We'll see.

Hmm, yeah, somehow I did miss that post. It seems like the "View First Unread" feature does not always work properly. Thanks.

That TSB does seem like that could be the problem, or part of it, but the dealer said something was redesigned for 2007 so this TSB doesn't apply.

Update: took car in for installation of a new "dash pad" but after they worked on my car half the day they noticed the new part was broken, and they have to order another one.

I have a new rattle that has appeared this week, it sounds like its coming from the seatbelt where it is attached to the car at the height adjustment piece. Whenever I go over a small hump (rather than a sharp bump) it rattles the most. I think its the adjustable piece itself that is making all the noise.

This is getting out of control. Its a 3-year-old car. These problems should not exist.

edit: Its not coming from the seatbelt adjustment. Crap

Thanks for the suggestion!

It seems as though its definitely coming from inside the B-pillar somewhere. It also has a distinct plastic sound. If you were to tap against the adjustment piece of the seatbelt on the B-pillar that moves up and down, it sounds just like that, thats why I thought that was the culprit.. but I was proven wrong when I put some "padding" in there.

My trick for the dash rattle is to go to home depot or ACE and go to the caulking section. Find some "filler" foam rope, about 1/2" diameter. Stuff that down between your windscreen and the dash,and up near the a-pillar. You can make it pretty well invisible and it pushes in nicely , then expands. Worked for me ( after 50K miles of rattle hell)

e.g.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1289225&CAWELAID=109362167

I thought the dash rattle was a 'feature' of the Subaru Legacy. Seriously, I fixed the rattle in the dash near the drivers side in about 10 minutes. There's a walk through somewhere on this site. I haven't had a problem since.

• 5 years later...

Hate to resurrect this but my car is in for the takata airbag insulator install and the dash is out. I have provided the Service Writer with the Rattle TSB and she is not going to charge labor since the dash is out but wants $45 dollars for the 3 longer screws called for. Maybe I'm just being an asshole but I don't feel like I should have to pay anything. I'll pony up a few bucks for screws but $45, come on. I've been told ,"It will be less that $45" but every time I ask for an actual number, I get attitude and "I'll call you back".

Update:

Just got a call from her saying they had begun putting the dash back together, without doing the TSB. She stated that the technician had begun putting the dash back in since he thought I didn't want to pay the "less than $45" fee. I explained to her that I had been waiting on her to call me with an actual number and not that BS, and also that I had not talked to the tech, she passed the information along. When pressed about the actual cost she informed me is would be $48.50.

I'm now contacting the regional rep and will be speaking with the dealership manager.

I was told to fix the dash rattle while the air bag recall is being done, is a five hour job.

I just picked my wagon up from having the air replaced and drove it 140 miles and the dash made no noise. Tomorrow it will 6F when I leave to go skiing, I'll see if it rattles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived