LegacyGT.com

ExtremeContact DWS ExtremeNoise?

alaskajoel

So last October, I put new tires on the Legacy - a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS. (225/45/17 - stock rims) I loved the handling in winter, and they've been great up until about a month ago. I took my kid sister and mother to a wedding about 30 miles north on the highway, and the entire way up there was a nasty throbbing / pulsing road noise coming from the rear tires. It bothered me driving, and drove my sister in the back seat crazy. If I rolled down the windows in the back it sounded like I was in a Jeep with 35" mudders on.:lol: I've never heard road noise this bad before, and figured something else was up, so I jacked up the rear end to look at things, but nothing stood out. Tires were filled to 36 psi all around, and there was no noticeable damage.

If you have experience with these tires, it's sometimes a little to easy to slide out the rear end with them, but i've kept them rotated, and haven't had a problem with wear or noise up until this point. Any other ideas? It NEEDS to be fixed before I drive up to Montana this fall, and i'd rather not buy new tires again - especially given that these were supposed to be some of the best of the best.

• 2 weeks later...
Not completely sure yet...getting the rear wheel bearings checked out this weekend hopefully. I really doubt it's the tires - these exact same tires (same size, but with more wear) on my IS300 are completely silent still...after 40k miles.

alaskajoel, I just got a set of 4 of these this week and one of them is making a pulsing / thumping sound and increased road noise. I haven't taken it back to the tire dealer yet but when I swap on my full size spare it completely fixes the problem. the other 3 tires are nice and silent.

alaskajoel, I just got a set of 4 of these this week and one of them is making a pulsing / thumping sound and increased road noise. I haven't taken it back to the tire dealer yet but when I swap on my full size spare it completely fixes the problem. the other 3 tires are nice and silent.

Could be a balancing issue. Maybe the tires aren't correctly balanced or maybe your car isn't aligned correctly. Might be something to check out.

:yeahthat:

Archived