LegacyGT.com

2.5i 5MT Front Differential Fluid Change Tutorial

I'm not sure you can either... however when I did fluid changes on my 2007 2.5i with the 4eat, I seem to recall only changing the rear differential fluid and the ATF, which is shared between the tranny and the front differential. Aside from that, the only other fluids that were changed were brake fluid, coolant and oil. I don't recall it needing to change anything else. :confused:

The transmission fluid in the 4EAT is NOT shared with the front differential, they are separate. The front and rear diffs use gear oil and the 4EAT uses ATF.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Now I'm confused. I have a 4EAT tranny. (09 legacy 2.5i) I was under the impression (from other threads) that both the diffs and transmission fluid were the same, and I could use the same fluid. I was planning on using redline 75w-90 fluid. Now I'm reading that I need to buy separate transmission fluid and diff fluid. Please clarify.

The 4EAT does indeed have separate transmission and differential fluid. You will need both.

The 09 also calls for Subaru's HP transmission fluid, due to different friction materials. I've only seen it from Subaru, no third parties.

You should be fine with the redline for the differential.

IIRC, the 09 and newer 4EAT (and the 5EAT too) need the ATF-HP from Subaru or Idemitsu equal. Supposedly there was a chance in friction materials in the tranny, and Dexron doesn't behave correctly in them.

As far as the diffs, any GL-5 is OK. Some like Subaru Extra-S, but as long as it's a GL-5, you should be good.

Will Royal Purple Max ATF #01320 high performance multi-spec synthetic fluid work for my auto tranny?

If that meets the book spec you can try it but Subaru ATF HD is plenty if it tames the 5EAT its good on your 4EAT:) No need to pay extra for that gearbox

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
it's pretty tough to get out, but just keep at it with a breaker bar and eventually it'll come.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Glad to hear! It's one of those things that is easier said than done and it's not something you really want to get an impact on if you can avoid it.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Mine was stiff too so I used the impact gun. Unfortunately it didn't slow down quickly enough and I got a tool and hand full of old tranny fluid. :)

Just wanted to add that a trick I used to fill was to place a hose into the filler hole and put a funnel on the end. This worked fine.

Used this tutorial not too long ago for my last service. Needed a breaker bar and a cheater pipe to get the T70 plug but otherwise it's a cinch.

Also found there was no need to unbolt that bracket with the wires on it, especially if you have a funnel that's even a little bit flexible.

Archived