LegacyGT.com

Fuel pump control module

i believe it would be a pwm from the ecm but i don't know for sure.

why not just put another driver in parallel with the one in the stock fpcm ?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

i believe it would be a pwm from the ecm but i don't know for sure.

why not just put another driver in parallel with the one in the stock fpcm ?

Forgive my lack of EE cred... is one way of doing this to simple put a second OEM FPCM in parallel with the first one?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

^ its not a problem on a stock car so why would subaru fix it ?

My stock fuel system was the only iteration that did not have some annoying problem or another.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

This thread was mostly for the 05-08 I would guess

Bottom line the wiring on a legacy is much smaller than that in an STI

Subaru is probably figuring that these cars do not need the larger gauge wire.

With that said..... You could pull your panels and take some pics and let us know what gauge wire is in the newer legacies.

I would imagine it is the same.

As frankster said its not a problem on a stock car so no need to fix it

This thread was mostly for the 05-08 I would guess

Bottom line the wiring on a legacy is much smaller than that in an STI

Subaru is probably figuring that these cars do not need the larger gauge wire.

With that said..... You could pull your panels and take some pics and let us know what gauge wire is in the newer legacies.

I would imagine it is the same.

As frankster said its not a problem on a stock car so no need to fix it

I will take pics and measure wiring and voltage. Where is the FP module located on the 08?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah, it's only a problem when you install a a fuel pump that says, "Must upgrade wiring to use this pump!", in the instructions.

So if you haven't done that, don't worry about it.

So the Walbro 460 is one for sure that requires this, what about the 340 lph pumps?

Instead of all this battery relay business. How about we use the PWM signal as the first stage of a two stage motor controller. Put a small amount of variable voltage gain to compensate for the different fpcm's in the input of the second stage, a nice robust bipolar transistor ought to do it. Run battery voltage big cables and ground cables to the second stage for power supply and whatever wiring the fpcm is using doesn't matter anymore all it needs to do is modulate either the gate or base of whatever device we choose to use. Maybe fifty bucks in parts and we can run any sized amp load we want.

Even a stock fuel pump could benefit from this if desired fuel pressure at the rail can't be maintained under WOT
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

From Aeromotive:

10.) Q: I heard that to use the 340 Stealth Pump you have to upgrade the OEM factory fuel pump wiring, and possibly the relay and fuse/breaker, is this true and why?

A: The wiring used to power the fuel pump plays a key role in supporting the electric motor that runs the pumping mechanism. It’s the combination of motor torque and the pumping mechanism speed it produces that enable the incredible flow the Stealth 340 is known for. The factory fuel pump wiring and electrical components were engineered for a fuel pump drawing ¼ to ½ the current. Failure to upgrade this wiring, including the relay and breaker/fuse assembly, may result in a substantial reduction in performance of the new 340 Stealth.

The 340 Stealth Fuel Pump is a break-through in OEM replacement fuel pump technology. It is capable of flowing 33% more than conventional, performance replacement fuel pumps, and as much as 100%-300% more than the vehicles original pump. For proper installation and to ensure the optimum performance and service life, please see the installation instructions on page 2 to view the flow and current draw at pressure chart, and the bottom of page 3 for wiring recommendations. Ensure proper wiring, your new 340 Pump, and your engine, depend on it!

NOTE: For specific wiring kit recommendations, see FAQ #16.

Funny thing is their FAQ stops at #15.

Good luck fitting a 460 in one of these housings. I've done it once, I'm not proud of the install, but it works and makes 507hp at the wheels.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Instead of all this battery relay business. How about we use the PWM signal as the first stage of a two stage motor controller. Put a small amount of variable voltage gain to compensate for the different fpcm's in the input of the second stage, a nice robust bipolar transistor ought to do it. Run battery voltage big cables and ground cables to the second stage for power supply and whatever wiring the fpcm is using doesn't matter anymore all it needs to do is modulate either the gate or base of whatever device we choose to use. Maybe fifty bucks in parts and we can run any sized amp load we want.

Good luck with that :lol:

From Aeromotive:

10.) Q: I heard that to use the 340 Stealth Pump you have to upgrade the OEM factory fuel pump wiring, and possibly the relay and fuse/breaker, is this true and why?

A: The wiring used to power the fuel pump plays a key role in supporting the electric motor that runs the pumping mechanism. It’s the combination of motor torque and the pumping mechanism speed it produces that enable the incredible flow the Stealth 340 is known for. The factory fuel pump wiring and electrical components were engineered for a fuel pump drawing ¼ to ½ the current. Failure to upgrade this wiring, including the relay and breaker/fuse assembly, may result in a substantial reduction in performance of the new 340 Stealth.

The 340 Stealth Fuel Pump is a break-through in OEM replacement fuel pump technology. It is capable of flowing 33% more than conventional, performance replacement fuel pumps, and as much as 100%-300% more than the vehicles original pump. For proper installation and to ensure the optimum performance and service life, please see the installation instructions on page 2 to view the flow and current draw at pressure chart, and the bottom of page 3 for wiring recommendations. Ensure proper wiring, your new 340 Pump, and your engine, depend on it!

NOTE: For specific wiring kit recommendations, see FAQ #16.

Funny thing is their FAQ stops at #15.

Good luck fitting a 460 in one of these housings. I've done it once, I'm not proud of the install, but it works and makes 507hp at the wheels.

Already been posted I believe. I think I posted the chart as well a few pages back

another thing to throw in the mix .. if you place a diode in line with the wire from the alternator that senses system voltage it will raise system voltage by 1.2 volts

another thing to throw in the mix .. if you place a diode in line with the wire from the alternator that senses system voltage it will raise system voltage by 1.2 volts

wow - so you're talking about raising the entire car's power supply Voltage by 1.2? So for example, if you normally have 14V, with this mod you would have 15.2V? More available fuel pressure/flow? Brighter headlights? More radio stations? ;)

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I will take pics and measure wiring and voltage. Where is the FP module located on the 08?

It's in the same place on the sedan, in the trunk, driver's side.

wow - so you're talking about raising the entire car's power supply Voltage by 1.2? So for example, if you normally have 14V, with this mod you would have 15.2V? More available fuel pressure/flow? Brighter headlights? More radio stations? ;)

its a trick radio enthusiasts do to make their subs louder.

my car runs about 13.5 volts once warmed up. 1.2 volts could account for almost 10% more flow from a pump.

Aeromotive Fuel Pump Control Module

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/accessories-electronics/16306-billet-fuel-pump-speed-controller/

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/16306.pdf

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Aeromotive-16306-Billet-Fuel-Controller/dp/B003XVI3WU]Amazon.com: Aeromotive 16306 Billet Fuel Pump Controller: Automotive[/ame]

Edited by Scooby2.5