LegacyGT.com

New Push Button Start option?

^ Frankly, I like the key. I wired up push-button starts in my DSMs, and it just kinda got old after the 'neat" factor was gone.

There's something mechanical and ritualistic that I like, starting a car with a key. :) Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. :redface:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I dont get why it is so hard to use your hand and turn the key, other than the "bling" factor, I dont see why we need to spend $ for this, my o.o2

You have to admit that it is pretty cool to be able to walk away from your car and the windows go up and it locks automatically. Worth the money? Not so much but still cool. I'd have ordered the whole shebang if it were available oem.

My experiences with push-button "Smart Start" systems has been horrendous, until now.

I spent about a thousand miles this weekend in a 2011 BMW 750ix, including it's push button start and proximity lock. It worked like a dream. My father-in-law kept the keys in his backpack, I hopped in the drivers seat, and car started right up. It was actually pretty cool, if not taking some time to get used to. Walk away from the car, and after about 6 feet, the horn honks and the doors lock.

The Audi Q7 TDI is very similar. It unlocks within about 3 feet, push the start button and it cranks right up. No drama at all.

My questions for the Advanced Key system involves the column lock and immobilizer. They show it working on late model GM vehicles (and a few others), which all have both column locks AND immobilizers.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Apparently for the column lock, you have to cut a key down, insert it, then de-pin the ACC wires from the lock cylinder.

Probably not going to do that.

I wish I could find the FSM and parts catalog for the S402 so I could track down the OEM parts for their smart key system.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I am actually very tempted to try it. Heck, everyone contribute $5 to me and I'll buy it right now when I get enough. Then i'll post my install and review :)

But out of convenience... My wife's new Lexus has the keyless entry/start system and it is awesome. I can understand the whole "I want to turn a key" part, but I'll just describe the part I love about the keyless system. When I get to drive the Lexus, I dont have to take the key out of my pocket for anything. I walk up to the car and it unlocks when you touch the door handle, you can lock the car by pressing a button or spot on the door handle as well. You sit in the car and press the button to start/stop it and its just that simple.

Never have to take the key out of your pocket, for me its a matter of having to dig through my pockets for keys. AND this is probably the best justification, there are no sharp edges/metal spots that rub against my cell phone and scratch the crap out of it.

I guess its all about laziness, I just like being able to walk up to the car and push a button without having to fiddle with keys in the pocket.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

My experiences with push-button "Smart Start" systems has been horrendous, until now.

A friend of mine loved the convenience of the system in his Corvette - he'd come from a traditional-key vehicle, previous - until he shut the door, forgetting that he'd left his cell-phone jammer activated. :lol::lol::lol:

----

@ BlackRain -

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/autowindow-remote-window-control-done-subaru-62586.html?t=62586&highlight=auto+window

^ It should be able to be done. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Frankly, I like the key. I wired up push-button starts in my DSMs, and it just kinda got old after the 'neat" factor was gone.

There's something mechanical and ritualistic that I like, starting a car with a key. :) Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. :redface:

I'm glad someone sees it the same way I do! People in the 5th gen section piss and moan about the car not having a smart key, but I love that it doesn't for that exact reason- the connection you have with the car by starting it. Same thing with it having a manual tranny. But with the key, think about it, I know I had a key "collection" of random, no longer used/found keys when I was little, I know they still sell those giant plastic keys as a baby toy and the little boy who lives in the apt. next to mine very excitedly showed me his key collection last weekend. Keys are cool, I don't know how to explain it but they are. The push button thing drives me nuts because I hate keeping things in my pants pockets, I don't usually have a backpack or anything to toss them in and even in the winter I typically toss the coat in the back and drive in just a t-shirt or work polo. Push-buttons are for turning on TVs and XBoxes, not cars.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

Coming from the world of motorcycles and KILL SWITCHES I can't even being to FATHOM why someone would want to hold a start button and count to whatever to turn a car off. s c r e w t h a t. If I get in a wreck and stop upside down, I dont want to THINK, gee lets count to three, I just want to react and shut down.

Coming from the world of motorcycles and KILL SWITCHES I can't even being to FATHOM why someone would want to hold a start button and count to whatever to turn a car off. s c r e w t h a t. If I get in a wreck and stop upside down, I dont want to THINK, gee lets count to three, I just want to react and shut down.

They say its just like the toyota/lexus system... In that case its not a "hold for x amount of time", that would be annoying as hell. Its literally a push once and it turns off. Push once (with brake held down) and it turns on. Simplistic... Even vimy could do it.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Push buttons are for race cars - Subaru Legacy GTs are NOT race cars. Honda brought it out on the S2000 because it echoed a vintage racer vibe then BAM, it took off. I've used the system in rental cars ranging from Nissans to Lexus' - walking up to the car and hopping in reminds me of the early 90s Fords with the key pad on the door. Sure, you didn't need a key, just your code!

Although I'll admit - I did like firing up my rental Corvette with the button, it seemed at home in that setting.

I kinda like the idea of turn key and it's off. It's a direct, intentional movement.

In the case of the one push off, what if you are cruising at 65 and your girl leans over to... um adjust my fly... and bumps the button.... does the car shut down?

As for the car flipping in a wreck, I would hope they add something to shut the car off if it's upside down... but maybe not ;)

Being a bit older than the average on here...65........I grew up with cars that had push button (Or in some cases "Pull") starters....all older British sports cars etc etc...I really don't get the rush to the past as being "COOL"...I spell it PITA :(

But if the manufacturers tell us it is a "New" idea then we all have to jump on the bandwagon........don't we????

Screw it, I want a CRANK for the front of my car (note to self, crank with left hand :lol:)!!!! Forget the FMIC, that's gonna be the next biggest thing. ;)

OK, let's not get too sidetracked, everyone. :) Let's focus on the actual device, here. :)

I liked Ford's keypad entry -- you were never locked out of the car, and pushing the last two locked the doors. I still know the combination for the 86 Cougar we had so it must have worked!

You don't need the keyless start either, but it's nice to not have to remove your keys from your pocket. That's the focus moreso than the act of pushing a button to start the car. For the Lexus, before it was a button operation you just turned the ignition switch without having to insert a key. The button is just the next generation of that.

Turning the key doesn't actually do anything different than pushing the button. It's the same, exact, system. The S2000, you put the key in the ignition, turned it "ON" then pushed the button. What happens when you push the button is the exact same thing as turning the key.

So I'm confused by the key enthusiasts. It is, literally, no less connected. It's not like the key cylinder is the direct ground path for the starter solenoid.

As for bumping the button while driving, that's a good question. In OEM cars, the car will not shut off. You have to hold the button for that to happen (in most cases). In this application, who knows. It knows engine RPM, so there might be some code that prevents shutdown above a learned idle RPM.

Turning the key doesn't actually do anything different than pushing the button. It's the same, exact, system. The S2000, you put the key in the ignition, turned it "ON" then pushed the button. What happens when you push the button is the exact same thing as turning the key.

So I'm confused by the key enthusiasts. It is, literally, no less connected. It's not like the key cylinder is the direct ground path for the starter solenoid.

To me, it's the ritual - with a key-then-push system, the last part of the ritual, the actual starting of the car, from that last "quarter"-turn, is lost, that's all. It's simply yearning for the way cars used to be, when I first coveted driving and cars, that's all.

One could definitely say that it's no less ritualistic to insert the key then thumb the starter button - or, for that matter, look at the Aston Martin "Emotion Engine."

It's just a difference in perception, that's all.

What I don't want this thread to become is some sort of debate about how a car "should" be started (in having hooked up more than my share of push-button starts in the past, I actually think it's the most hilarious to just leave the wires dangling, to have to "hot-wire" the car, every time you drive it :lol:) - since everyone's going to have their personal preferences.

Rather, I want to see this thread stay on-target, and examine this very nifty aftermarket solution, for those among us who *_want_* a push-button start and/or wireless remote system. :)

I liked Ford's keypad entry -- you were never locked out of the car

^While hideously ugly it was definately clever to have a simple, built-in system to retrieve locked-in keys. Course, this is why I also like the walk-away system: I assume that once I got used to it, I would NEVER lock the keys in because I would never actively arm my alarm/lock my car.

You turned a key AND pushed a button? Wow thats clearly from Honda's multiple redundant departments of redundancy. I'd rather get this product and cut a key down, relocate the acc than have a key to turn AND a start button.

RE: Ford's keypad entry -

^While hideously ugly it was definately clever to have a simple, built-in system to retrieve locked-in keys.

Doesn't the new Lincoln's have an "invisible" touch-pad? :wub:

Ahhh, I agree with you then. The first time I sat in an S2000, I was pissed that you had to put the key in the ignition THEN start the car. That's disappointing, no matter how you look at it.

So, back on target.

This option does seem to be near "perfect" with the minor exception that you eliminate the column lock, and that your standard metal key will no longer operate accessories and/or "ON" position functions. Which does make things tricky when it comes to diagnostics.

I'll have to look at the FSM and see how the column lock operates. I wonder if it could be as simple as adding a solenoid and relay to unlock the column when the button is pressed. I also know that some UK Subaru's have an electronic column lock, but those are pricey (~$250USD or something like that) and not guaranteed to fit.

I think the biggest problem for me is the column lock issue. From that sprouts the issue of the standard key not working. Solve the column lock issue by using an electric column, and you solve the whole problem. As long as, in an emergency, the standard key still works, I'd be happy.

I think the center console, opposite the hazard button, would be a good spot for the start button.

Archived