LegacyGT.com

Initial photos of Outback with Coilovers

03Indigo

so, while my girlfriend was taking a nap, post knee surgery, I got bored, and decided to drop in the coilovers on Monday Night, only took me about 2 hours to get the old stuff out, and the new ones on. Here are some initial shots...

I know, it changes the reason for getting an outback, but for me, and the type of driving I like, this is PERFECT, and i like the styling of the OBXT over the LGT wagon...now I can drive a sports wagon with an aggressive look.

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album73/IMG_0869.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album73/IMG_0871.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album73/IMG_0873.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album73/IMG_0874.jpg

Awesome stance. Great Rotas too! Can I ask what shade the Rotas are? I am looking at the Tarmac II in the lightest silver that they offer and am wondering if I am looking at the same shade on your car?

looks like 3" drop. the drive train is the same as the LGT, just the size of the struts are different. Everything else is a direct fit as I have found out. Sways, end links, drive shafts, control arms, tie rods, steering, sub frame, etc.

I have no concern with it being that low. Took it on an initial drive over a bumpy road, no rubbing what so ever, even with the 245-45-18 tires inside the wells. There is still more clearance than a LGT due to the larger tire size...I still have nearly 5" of clearance at the lowest point from what I can tell. I won't have any other issues that someone with a LGT will have....

Ahhh, 'Steel Grey'.

Thanks Boss! I agree, a nice match to the cladding.

My white wagon needs the standard silver colour, though.

they are the Tarmac II, 18", and the color is Steel Grey, almost a perfect match to the lower body color for the 2 toned Outbacks.

Ahhh, 'Steel Grey'.

Thanks Boss! I agree, a nice match to the cladding.

My white wagon needs the standard silver colour, though.

I FULLY agree, with white, a lighter rim looks better. Too dark, and sometimes that can just look like you are running on your spares, hehe.

Wow- I'm not a fan of lowering usually, but yours is tops! It needs to be aligned after that right?

yeah, i believe it does, in the initial test drive, about 4 miles, the car tracks fine, no pulls, etc., but just to be safe, I am gonna have it done next week, until then, the car will sit in the garage, and my MINI will be gettin the driving love

:D

what do you think of the ride around town??

well, with the short drive, it feels like I need to play with the dampening settings a bit, but not sure yet, I might turn it up a notch, then turn down the spring pre-load to get a bit more play. Height is perfect, so I will most likely leave that alone.

Overall, much stiffer, feels just like a LGT wagon with Pinks and stock struts...as my buddy Jonny drives. it has ELIMINATED the pitch and yaw under acceleration, shifting, and braking, and almost feels like sways will not make any difference. The car is really neutral, level, and secure. Very sure footed and confidence inspiring. But then again, that was only a 4-5 mile drive from the house on some twisty roads near by...nothing too aggressive, but enough to test for rubs, and bumps. I will still do the sways, but as it feels now, it may not make that much of a difference. the car does not "boat" around a corner, it remains very level. Glad I drove it before the sways go on this week...just waiting for them to get back from the powder coater.

it looks sweet...when i threw my in i put the coilovers and sways all at once, so i never had a chance to see how one acted without the other...but overall i love the car and the ride, and i know you will too!! have an awesome time...again, sexie my friend, absolutely sexie!!
~Sucka-Duck~

Wow! 18" look small on your car.. not to mention some BIG tires.. go W I D E R next time to take advantage of your OEM fender flares ;):lol:

Looks great!

Keefe

Btw, that's a nice collection of plates on your wall!

Keefe

Nice. I like the ride height and look. So do you have no sways on there now or just the stock ones?

just the stock sway, the Perrin adjustables will be done this week, getting them painted blue to match the Cusco stuff, I am a geek that way, so, right now, stock sways until they are ready to install.

Wow! 18" look small on your car.. not to mention some BIG tires.. go W I D E R next time to take advantage of your OEM fender flares ;):lol:

Looks great!

Keefe

Btw, that's a nice collection of plates on your wall!

haha, unfortunately, the LGT fender lies under the flares...darn it. I can roll them and go much wider, like 265 or 275 I think, now that would be CRAZY. I doubt i will ever do that, 245 is more than enough.

Yeah, a lot of plates, I have owned a car or 2 in my past, hehe. some are from friends/family as well...so if anyone wants to send me their plates to contribute to my cause, please feel free to send them!!!

it looks sweet...when i threw my in i put the coilovers and sways all at once, so i never had a chance to see how one acted without the other...but overall i love the car and the ride, and i know you will too!! have an awesome time...again, sexie my friend, absolutely sexie!!

I love it already, and thanks to your imput, you made the install and set up MUCH eaier. Also, thanks for the compliments...seeing your thread on the Cusco's inspired me, and I knew that is the way I wanted to go...

cheers

jon

Jon

Your car looks REALLY GOOD. Sorry I couldn't help with the install been really busy with work. Call me when your sways are ready and I'll give you a hand. :lol:

Jonny, no biggie, I figured you were swamped with work, and I got bored and did them in a moment's notice...so it was hard to plan. We have been busy with post knee surgery stuff anyway, and I have my own certification classes I need to take on thursday morning since my stuff expires this month....pediatric advanced life support, and crap like that.

I am gonna call about my sways on Wednesday afternoon to try to pick them up, and if I can get them in early, I will do them thursday afternoon, but if not, maybe next Tuesday, since that will be the first free moment after work this weekend.

Don't work too hard!!!

cheers

jon

You have got to be pleased. Defines the term, Outback Sleeper. Please post as to how the dynamic's work out once the sway's, alignment and adjustments come together.

Your cars looks are now unique in the sea of Outbacks here in Colorado.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

small update. While having the car on the ground, I took a look at the distance between the bump stops and the lower control arms. Normally there is like 4" there, but with the drop...ie: putting the Cusco's in at the factory setting, there was only maybe 1/2" between the control arm and the very tip of the over sized bump stop on the Outbacks. The LGT bump stop is nearly 1" shorter and narrower...so I may eventually go that route.

Well, with a little guidance from the pioneer of coilovers in OBXTs, Chucktoo, I decided to see how far I can take the cusco's up to make for at least 2.5" of room there. That is about what the LGT has when riding on Pinks...so I figured with coil overs, that was a good starting point. Well, I was able to really get a lot more room out of the Cusco's, and still have about 1/4" before Max thread height... the car sits a bit higher, obviously, but still looks great. Not the perfect wheel gap distribution I wanted, but I can live with this since the ride is AWESOME. The twitchiness I experienced earlier had to be me hitting the bump stops and maybe resting on them while going around corners. Now I can tell I still need the sways, so I will be glad when they are on. Car is 100% better with only the coilovers, but I am sure the sways will help just a bit more. The nose dive, rocking front to back, under hard accel/shifting or braking, are GONE...no more motion sick people in my OBXT, hehe.

Somewhat final verdict of the transformations....I love this car more than ever, best move i have made automotively....sold a highly modified and pristine Audi Allroad to get this car, and I will never look back.

As I get the under bracing and sways on, I will measure final gaps, ground clearance, etc, and take some final pictures and post them up for everyone.

cheers

jon

when are you gonna go stage 2? :D

Doubt it....Stage I right now, car is plenty fast enough for me, as this is my daily driver and winter "beater". For how I drive normally, I doubt i would ever notice the difference...I am not that great of a driver...will off the line speed anyway, so it won't really matter much. That would be too much car for my driving skills...so why bother? hehe. I prefer cornering and skills like that, more gran prix type of driving over 1/4 mile stuff anyway. The canyons are my friend, and too much power in the canyons for me can spell trouble...and tickets, haha.

So, maybe an exhaust, for sure a panel filter, but as for programing, not sure I will switch to Stage 2.

Archived