LegacyGT.com

what kinda pop... like low high. like the kinda pop you get when you stick a paper clip into and home outlet? or the kinda pop you get when you break you leg in 2 spots at the same time. or the kinda pop you get with antilag. or the kinda pop you get with gun fire? or the kinda pop you get when sitting on the beach ball made of plastic.

WE NEED DETAILS hahah

You didn't say it turned over before... anyway, all engines need 4 things to work. Air, fuel, ignition, and timing (both ignition and belt, make sure your belt isn't broken!)

If you're missing one it won't run. So check you have those 4 things and come back.

Was the pop more along the lines of a misfire or backfire, or was it a "Metal on Metal" kinda pop?

Does the engine try to start? Is there any signs that the engine may be firing, or is it just cranking over at a steady pace?

First, if you have any starting fluid or carb/choke cleaner laying around take out the air filter and spray some straight into the intake tube while a friend tries to start the car. If it starts and runs seemingly fine for a second or two then the engine isn't getting fuel. If it tries to start but can't without heavy hesitation then it could be timing. If it doesn't do anything different its ignition.

If you get the feeling that its ignition related, it doesn't automatically mean spark plugs or the coilpack has failed. It could also be the cam position or crank position sensor. Without either of these sensors the computer doesn't know when to fire the coilpack, so it doesn't fire any spark at all.

Since you said you can no longer hear the fuel pump running, I bet that if you try the starting fluid you'll find that the engine runs as long as you keep spraying the starting fluid. If you stop spraying the fluid and the engine suddenly dies you've found the proper place to start investigating.

I really didn't want to pull the timing belt cover off. When I try to start the engine. The engine rocks. So its not the timing belt I don't think. Right? Or am I wrong to think that. I'm thinkin its the fuel pump. I will let you know. Its rainin today. So I'm not goin to do much until I can get it out. What side is the fuel pump on?

Archived