LegacyGT.com

Crank pulley bolt

EXCELLENT IDEA: I did this when I changed my timing belt:

Take a really long extension to the half inch drive you have, or some kind of metal piping that will go around it. I think the bolt is a 22mm (don't quote me on it), but once you fit the socket to it, lay the extension against the frame somewhere. The bolt comes off normally, so lefty loosey. The pulley rotates to the right, so if you have the extension pinned to the frame, click the starter. That bolt will loosen right up, but DON'T HOLD THE STARTER. Coolest way to get a bolt off :)

EXCELLENT IDEA: I did this when I changed my timing belt:

Take a really long extension to the half inch drive you have, or some kind of metal piping that will go around it. I think the bolt is a 22mm (don't quote me on it), but once you fit the socket to it, lay the extension against the frame somewhere. The bolt comes off normally, so lefty loosey. The pulley rotates to the right, so if you have the extension pinned to the frame, click the starter. That bolt will loosen right up, but DON'T HOLD THE STARTER. Coolest way to get a bolt off :)

Tried that....broke 3 1/2" breaker bars lmao....

Ended up using a tool a local subaru guru lent me to hold the crank pulley, while i had a buddy with a 4ft pipe on the end of a 2ft 1" breaker bar...it came loose but dayum was that thing on there..

Tried that....broke 3 1/2" breaker bars lmao....

Ended up using a tool a local subaru guru lent me to hold the crank pulley, while i had a buddy with a 4ft pipe on the end of a 2ft 1" breaker bar...it came loose but dayum was that thing on there..

holy shit. you actually broke the breaker bar??

Used a tool that a local subaru guru made, and had two people on it. One with a new(1/2") breaker bar with a 4ft pipe on the end. And me on the crank pulley tool. Took alot of strength from both of us but eventually it snapped free. We figure we broke the bolt torque at ~400ft lbs....

makes me terrified of getting the cam gears off to do a head gasket change :/

You don't need to take the cam gears off to do a head gasket. The heads come off enbloc.

O.

I used a breaker bar, had it laying where the radiator supports to(radiator was out since im doing head gaskets) and just crank the engine but make sure your plugs are not connected to the coil. One crank of the starter and it loosened, then i took it off with a 1/2inch drive snap-on ratchet. I got to borrow a whole set of snap on and craftsman tools from my friends :D. Rest of the pulleys i used a 125psi compressor and a cheap impact wrench, the dewalt battery one didn't work at all.

Got the head gaskets out in one day of work from 10:30am to like 6:00pm. First time ever taking an engine apart, especially taking the camshafts out.

Archived