LegacyGT.com

Engine Cover On or Off?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine did not rattle with 0 pop-its :iam:

Neither does mine and its not secured in any way other than having a snug fit around the tmic...trimmed mine up to fit my perrin TMIC and put some extra weatherstripping on it for good measure

then hit it with some DC2 and it looks awesome

For proper airflow to get over the intercooler you need to have high pressure in the front side of the IC and lower pressure behind it...

Removing the cover in theory just equalizes the pressures, allowing air to escape before going through and causing higher pressures behind it, further making the air not want to go through it...

Left mine on because someone much smarter than me put it on there with purpose.

Someone smarter than me put Daytime Running Lights on my car with a purpose, and I'm not running those either. Plus I'm saving money by not having to replace the bulbs every 6 months. :cool:

I found a site selling the "Engine Cover Attachment Kit" which is a series of 4 popits, for $2.

Someone smarter than me put Daytime Running Lights on my car with a purpose, and I'm not running those either. Plus I'm saving money by not having to replace the bulbs every 6 months. :cool:

I found a site selling the "Engine Cover Attachment Kit" which is a series of 4 popits, for $2.

Where is this magical site you speak of?

the smart guy who designed the engine cover wasn't in the same department with the DRL one :lol:

Keeping it on will cause a nice seal between the intercooler and the hood scoop, resulting in direct channeling of the air flow on to the TMIC.

But I'm sure everyone knew that already.

I'm surprised how many people don't know this or don't care. There are even new TMIC options out now that don't even allow for mounting of the engine cover. Why would air actually want to go thru the IC if it can just enter the scoop and go around it? I think the cover is more of a functional piece than a design piece... but I haven't proved it.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I wouldn't think that proving it would be all that hard.

Do a couple pulls without the cover on and then take the temp and then do the same thing with the cover on.

I just need to find my hardware to reattach my underengine tray. I think I've avoided it for so long b/c it makes oil changes so much easier.

I wouldn't think that proving it would be all that hard.

Do a couple pulls without the cover on and then take the temp and then do the same thing with the cover on.

I just need to find my hardware to reattach my underengine tray. I think I've avoided it for so long b/c it makes oil changes so much easier.

My undertray is only held on by two bolts and two pop-its at the moment. And you should see my oil filter access panel :hide::lol:

Well if the price of the popits are outta the question you can always rig up some kind of a zippy tie method. I mean shoot they held down my drivers seat in my last beater car so im sure theyll hold the engine cover on. I personally like the engine covers look as someone said earlier it does give it more of an upscale look.

• I Donated
Mine is off, only because the previous owner didn't trade it in with the car. If I had the choice, then I would keep it on there.

Same.

Well if the price of the popits are outta the question you can always rig up some kind of a zippy tie method. I mean shoot they held down my drivers seat in my last beater car so im sure theyll hold the engine cover on.

You might be retarded if:

- You use zipties to hold your seat onto the floor.

What good is a seatbelt in an accident if the seat just comes off the floor? The zipties may hold in regular driving, but would doubtless break when you would need them most. Or maybe you just don't wear your seatbelt? (i.e. maybe you don't actually care if you die in a crash...)

Same.

You might be retarded if:

- You use zipties to hold your seat onto the floor.

What good is a seatbelt in an accident if the seat just comes off the floor? The zipties may hold in regular driving, but would doubtless break when you would need them most. Or maybe you just don't wear your seatbelt? (i.e. maybe you don't actually care if you die in a crash...)

Fighter pilots eject with their seats...why can't I? :lol:

Have to say.. mine has been off for a very long time and I kinda forgot how it looks on it... may need to go dig it outa the storage shine it up and see if I cant cut it and make it fit and see if I havent changed my mind on how it looks.

My undertray is gone and good riddance I had it barely attached with minimum pop-its until I ran over what can only be described as a Cadaver or corpse or carcass... while doing 80mph on a desserted highway in like the backwoods of Missouri or Illinoise at 3am during a 1500 mile drive...whatever it was ripped/cracked it to shreds and left hunks of "meat" and tissue all over it...when i got to my destination i discarded it. car smelled like jerky for months as it was all baked and stuck to my entire undercarriage.

i leave mine on. i don't know if it's better one way or another personally. i feel like the cover aids intercooler cooling though. i haven't done any tests either way to confirm it. truth is that shit is under the hood and i don't really care about it. i just keep it clean

Have to say.. mine has been off for a very long time and I kinda forgot how it looks on it... may need to go dig it outa the storage shine it up and see if I cant cut it and make it fit and see if I havent changed my mind on how it looks.

My undertray is gone and good riddance I had it barely attached with minimum pop-its until I ran over what can only be described as a Cadaver or corpse or carcass... while doing 80mph on a desserted highway in like the backwoods of Missouri or Illinoise at 3am during a 1500 mile drive...whatever it was ripped/cracked it to shreds and left hunks of "meat" and tissue all over it...when i got to my destination i discarded it. car smelled like jerky for months as it was all baked and stuck to my entire undercarriage.

Uhhh....WHAT?? :lol:

From the engine cover issues...to a cadaver mystery in the backwoods of Missouri...I love random shit.

• 5 weeks later...
Something's off after I took all the bits off necessary to change the UP and downpipe. The holes on the cover don't match with the holes on the IC anymore. It's tilted somehow and I can't get them to line up. :(

The IPR didn't have the holes in the intercooler. I stuck the cover over it though and it pretty much locked itself in. The hood being closed obviously hold it in, but even when opening the hood I have to pry the cover a bit to get it off.

Archived