LegacyGT.com

1990 Legacy LS Wheels/Bumper/Body parts Questions.

I've recently purchased a 1990 Legacy LS wagon.

I've been trying to search different forums. But, for some reason I cannot access SL-I.net and Legacycentral from work.

So I figured I could ask here.

1st. What year of Impreza/WRX/Legacy rims will fit my 90 Legacy?

2nd. What year of Impreza/WRX/Legacy Bumper or Body kits will fit my 90 Legacy? Modifications are okay with me.

3rd. Why does my AC/Heat only blow out from the dash vents randomly? I can crank the car one time and it'll blow from the dash, Other times it blows from the floor. My AC seems to be turning on, I can tell by the engine load when I hit the button, But it's also blowing warm air.

4th. How do i fix this ridiculous sunroof leak?

1) The bolt pattern shoould be the same from pretty much any year. The bolt pattern is 5X100mm.

2) If you get creative lots of stuff will fit, but not much was designed to fit. If you really want to modify the body, check out JDM or EDM lights. You can get a hood from a turbo model if you want the scoop. Some models had the little spoiler too. If you get a big spoiler/wing, the forum will call your car a ricer, so be warned... Friends don't let friends drive rice, remember this. ;)

3) There could be a vacuum leak. The heater controls are vacuum powered. Leaks could cause all kinds of erratic behavior. The only way to tell is by tearing things apart and checking. Also check behind the dash and see if the temp selector is still attached to anything back there.

4) RTV Silicone Sealant? Without seeing where water is coming from its hard to know exaclty the best way to fix it.

Thanks for the detailed info,

I'm not into the rice movement. I'm more into keeping the stock look. But, I'm not feeling the style of the front end on the legacy wagons. I'm leaning towards the STI/Impreza front end. I was just wondering what year of impreza/STI body parts fit the best on the 1st gen's to make it look better.

Since im not turbo, I don't feel the scoop is necessary. That's a rice move in my book as well.

I'm not sure what would look best, but I would say if anything would come close to working, it would have to be the first generation Impreza. The first generation Impreza had some aftermarket body options, which could be modified and tweaked to fit onto the second generation Legacy, but the first generation Legacy had different body lines and dimensions. At least the second generation Legacy and the first generation Impreza looked similar, but the first generation Legacy looked more like a Loyale or a GL than anything else.

I would start looking for JDM or EDM grills, lights, and anything else they had. Those would be a direct bolt-on, and they tend to look better than the USDM stuff.

the scoop is not a rice move when it comes to scoobies. its a rice move if u put it on ur ford focus. every outback and 97-01 obs impreza have a spoiler and there all n/a. get a 91 turbo legacy bumper, a turbo legacy hood and ur good to go. it will change the front enough for u to see change and not break the bank.

the impreza front end doesnt look right on that car. (ive seen it)

http://www.subaruforsale.org/pictures/listings/1431.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/pacmanz/my%20drives/1990SubaruLegacyRS.jpg

Yeah. That would just look wrong...

The dimensions are wrong, the lines are wrong, the trim is wrong, the fit and finish would be appauling......

Unless you're a bodywork mastermind, I'd lay this one to rest. Its your car though, you're entitled to whatever you want.

As for my car it will blow the AC at the floor at times too. Under the dash there is a little bracket in sort of an L shape. It controls the vents and which way the air flows. If you gently push the bracket forward it will redirect the air. Gosh, it's hard to explain. If you're laying on the floor and looking up at the driver side dash it's going to be on your left. It's a white bracket. I havent looked at it for a long while since I just feel for it these days. Anyway, the bracket occasionally gets stuck so you just push it and as long as your AC is on it will redirect the air. You dont have to push very hard. If you push too hard you may break it. Sometimes mine gets stuck and I just leave it alone. Here's a crappy picture I made of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/TetsuoShima/bracket.jpg

And I love my ricer ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/TetsuoShima/100_37611.jpg

Hahahaha, that picture made me literally laugh out loud at work. Great effort. I'll take a look under the dash and see if i can find it.

As far as refilling the freon, Is there any special adapter I would require?

Your car's AC will work best with R12. New cars use R134. While you can refill an R12 system (Like the Legacy) with R134 its not advised. Cooling performance is much worse after the "Retrofit" of R134, and the lifespan of the compressor drops considerably.

You should try and find R12 somewhere. Some places like junkyards salvage it from old vehicles. If you can get a refill with R12 the compressor will work more efficiently by getting the lubricant it needs, and the AC will blow much colder air than if you used R134.

I found it last night. Worked like a charm. I greased up the moving parts. Seems to be working correctly now. We'll see how long that lasts.

@Legacy, I like your ricer too. Those are the wheels i'm searching for.

I'm guessing I should ask for a 89-92 Legacy wagon pic thread to get some ideas on where i'd like to go.

Not being able to access Sl-i.net at work is boggling my mind. I'm IT and I can't figure out why my firewall would block that site. Is there any sexual advertisements on that site?

Good deal. I never bothered. I consider it exercise ;)

Yeah, they're the stock gold ones. I repainted them recently.

Not many of us modify these older ones. I think the only specialty

thing I have on the wagon are foglights.

Nope. Just looks like a regular old forum. Did it fall under the categories

of "enjoyment" or "stress relief" when it blocked you? haha

Not many of us modify these older ones. I think the only specialty thing I have on the wagon are foglights.

ud be suprised how many people modify the older leggys. i for 1 have a 91 hybrid leggy. 5lbs of boost keeps up with a '10 STI. and im not done with building it yet...;)

the other 3 leggy turbos i have are just as fun...:spin:

ud be suprised how many people modify the older leggys. i for 1 have a 91 hybrid leggy. 5lbs of boost keeps up with a '10 STI. and im done with building it yet...;)

the other 3 leggy turbos i have are just as fun...:spin:

Sell me one on the cheap and I'll give you an 86' F150 4MT stepside for free..... ;)

Archived