LegacyGT.com

exaust heat sheild is it ok to remove.

Many people remove them, though I personally don't think it's a good idea. On long trips the floor gets REALLY hot. It could, theoretically, start a fire. When my shields break loose, punch a new hole in them with an awl and tie them back down with stainless steel wire.

Is the shield itself rattling or is there something caught in it? Mine rattled, and I considered taking it off but opted against it after figuring out I had picked up a few small rocks through the vent holes. Rattled like crazy; now I need to take it off to fix an exhaust leak :( But check it with a rubber mallet, and if it sounds like somethings caught, take a compressor and push some air into it.

Is the shield itself rattling or is there something caught in it? Mine rattled, and I considered taking it off but opted against it after figuring out I had picked up a few small rocks through the vent holes. Rattled like crazy; now I need to take it off to fix an exhaust leak :( But check it with a rubber mallet, and if it sounds like somethings caught, take a compressor and push some air into it.

thanks.

I've taken heat shields off of many, many cars. Including, (But not limited to)...

My Legacy... My F150... My Sentra... A family members Sentra... My friends Contour... My other friends Bronco... and a few others. After I bought my Legacy the heat shield was pissing me off so bad I took it off with a crowbar at work. The silence was deafening (In a good way). :lol:

Half the cars I've owned had no heat shields. I'm convinced they're useless. :lol:

So far no fires, no burning carpet, no hot floor, just guaranteed silence from annoying ass rattles. :lol:

I can't guarantee you'll get the same results. Obviously they're installed in cars for a reason, I'm just saying removing them is a valid option that's always worked for me in the past.

Ask anyone who owns a Honda, if you take off your heat shields, one of your windshield wipers, and add a cone air filter and some yellow stickers you'll be able to hit the quarter mile in under 10 seconds.

:lol:

My buddy recently removed the heat shield on his g20 because it was driving us crazy when it would rattle. No melting here, no hot floor...but it's in there for a reason, so it's gotta keep temps down.

Archived