LegacyGT.com

VF-37 (twin scroll) boost control - slow spool?

Deaks2

Current mods:

VF-37 and associated TS hardware

eBay TMIC

1 mm restrictor pill

Shamar is currently tuning my car, and after reviewing other TS logs, it seems mine is spooling a little slow. I am currently at max WGDC for most of a 3rd gear run with the 1 mm pill. Should I go down to the 0.8 mm pill?

boost.PNG.9a194402ad3318b7f266650f1ab9fc56.PNG

^+1, but I am not sure that will help you hit peak much quicker. It will probably help you hold more up top.

Are you running a JDM stock or aftermarket DP?

JDM STI 2.5" gutted DP lengthened for an LGT.

Do you think you're running proper AVCS tables to take advantage of the twin scroll setup?

Dunno...

Do you think you're running proper AVCS tables to take advantage of the twin scroll setup?

This is actually a very good question. Honestly I haven't been real happy with the spool or overall power. The unknown variable is the ebay TMIC, LBGT ran it with meth injection. Currently the car won't hold much ignition timing at all.

I found this over at NABISCO: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793730 He's running an 04 STI, which is pretty much the same longblock as the 05-06 LGT.

Every time I log a 3rd gear run, the first log is clean. The subsequent ones have knock. I think the TMIC is getting cooked (no heatshield). I am still waiting for my turbo blanket to ship.

Also, I noticed this morning that my coolant inlet pipe for my turbo is kinked. I assume the turbo is not getting enough coolant. I have ordered a replacement and expect it tomorrow.

We're currently using E10 91 octane, however, I do have E10 94 octane available. The problem is only one gas station chain carries it. Also, I do have one E85 station available.

The turbo blanket plus heat wrapping anything you can should help some if it is the TMIC. Are you able to wrap the DP? Does the TMIC have enough exposed metal tubing to warrant wrapping that as well? With the ebay style TMIC having tubing it's going to heat soak more than a typical LGT style that bolts right to the turbo even with heat shields in place.

Didn't you have the racerx FMIC ready to install with this setup? What intake are you using now?

I found this over at NABISCO: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793730 He's running an 04 STI, which is pretty much the same longblock as the 05-06 LGT.

Every time I log a 3rd gear run, the first log is clean. The subsequent ones have knock. I think the TMIC is getting cooked (no heatshield). I am still waiting for my turbo blanket to ship.

Also, I noticed this morning that my coolant inlet pipe for my turbo is kinked. I assume the turbo is not getting enough coolant. I have ordered a replacement and expect it tomorrow.

We're currently using E10 91 octane, however, I do have E10 94 octane available. The problem is only one gas station chain carries it. Also, I do have one E85 station available.

Well for starters, your boost curve looks alot better than the STI's. His ocillates alot after peak. Second your targets are higher than his so it's hard to compare. As for fuel and to make for the best tune, if its not too much trouble, stick to E85 or the 94. I know LBGT had alot of trouble running strong timing on the gas you guys have available up there so use the best you can find.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

The turbo blanket plus heat wrapping anything you can should help some if it is the TMIC. Are you able to wrap the DP? Does the TMIC have enough exposed metal tubing to warrant wrapping that as well? With the ebay style TMIC having tubing it's going to heat soak more than a typical LGT style that bolts right to the turbo even with heat shields in place.

Didn't you have the racerx FMIC ready to install with this setup? What intake are you using now?

No exposed metal TMIC tubing, just silicone. I had the FMIC, but I could not find a battery that would fit with it. Plus on my car it was real tight near the FPR. I am using the stock airbox.

Well for starters, your boost curve looks alot better than the STI's. His ocillates alot after peak. Second your targets are higher than his so it's hard to compare. As for fuel and to make for the best tune, if its not too much trouble, stick to E85 or the 94. I know LBGT had alot of trouble running strong timing on the gas you guys have available up there so use the best you can find.

Problem is my car was fine at Stage 2 with 91 octane. LBGT has particularly crappy fuel. Out east we have much better fuel. If it is a heat issue I would prefer to fix that before changing fuel.

So my coolant pipe for the turbo was kinked, and the turbo side was just about dry. The turbo is running hotter than it should. A new pipe will be on tomorrow. Also, the support bracket for the passenger side of the TMIC is Al and attaches directly to the turbo-DP bolts. It is acting as a heat sink from the turbo to the TMIC. I will remove it or insulate it.

I was able to run about 2 degrees more timing on my FMIC then on that TMIC.

I run more now that I have some 94 octane gas.

I really think that TMIC has to be positioned just right to get proper airflow through it (and not around it).

Make sure it is sealed to the hood-scoop to force the air through it.

Okay, so I have replaced the kinked turbo coolant line and removed the passenger side tmic support which was acting as a heat sink. Now I can actually touch the hotside of the tmic after a 3rd gear log.

I also used some insulating foam/heat reflecting tape to seal the tmic to the hood scoop. It may look ghetto but it works. Now I can touch the core and cold side endtank and they are quite cool.

I have included pix of before with the lack of sealing and the bracket, and after. The passenger side of the tmic is now supported by the silicone hoses, which are in turn clamped to the AC hardline along the firewall.

IMG_0209.thumb.jpg.c66b3d6fb0a04f709a53f5520e960392.jpg

IMG_0211.thumb.jpg.a5ce619a07ae828474c8605864eb493d.jpg

IMG_0212.thumb.jpg.369e4f184a6f9271b8b9f4916d29d968.jpg

IMG_0213.thumb.jpg.f0b873b67d9ffe5f61678102d0b5f730.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Things are looking better now. The Al TMIC bracket is no longer pumping hear into the IC core, I got phenolic spacers/washers. Also, the turbo blanket is doing wonders for the underhood temps.

While I was at it, I am now running 94 octane (E10) and I got a new DP (Lachute Performance, 3" catted) since I am moving to Ontario and they do e-testing.

Archived