LegacyGT.com

Planning a turbo swap....

I was just about to make a thread on the same subject.

I want to do a wrx/wrxSTi swap in my car and was looking for engines on the net. I came across "Subaru Impreza WRX STI GC8 GF8 EJ20 Turbo 1998" and was wondering if this would swap into my car ('99 LegacyGT)?

What causes my confusion is the STi motor is from a RHD Japanese car and my car is LHD North American car.

List of parts included with the motor:

- Complete Motor

- 5 Speed Transmission

- ECU/Computer

- Drive shaft

- Rear Differential

- Wire Harness

you would need to use a usdm engine because the jdm ones are not obd2 compliant. my buddy is dealing with that problem right now because he has a gt-b and it is obd1 so its just a big pain in the ass. but i would suggest getting a usdm it will save you a bunch of headaches. this is the site im getting my engine from the have some pretty good prices www.y2kimports.com

Why not just use wrx turbo parts and massage your front cross member for uppipe clearance? Then you can use Ralliteks PP6 engine management for tuning.

WRX EJ205 is an open deck block just like the N/A blocks, very small differences. You could just build an n/a block with pistons, rods etc, use turbo parts and still come cheaper than a swap.

any turbo ej swap will do, minus v1, v2, and twin turbo. you will pass emissions with the right tuning and exhaust

Don't forget OBD-II didn't come until 1998 for japanese subarus. So V3/4 is out too, being they are OBD-I controlled.

you would need to use a usdm engine because the jdm ones are not obd2 compliant. my buddy is dealing with that problem right now because he has a gt-b and it is obd1 so its just a big pain in the ass.

Again, he'll be dealing with BG GTB if it's OBD-I. JDM subies became OBD-II in 98 with the V5 and 6 impreza's, and the BE/BH TT's.

I would say a good option, if one was to go with JDM, to go with a V5 or 6 STi engine. They will be one of the easist conversions if one were to get a half cut. And who can say no to an EJ207 out of one of these bad boys

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5372/windowshopping.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I had to pay another $500 for federal and got maybe $60 back from OH. I'd rather keep my money throughout the year than have the government give it back to me like it's a gift, not something that they just held for no reason. I'd be pissed about getting $9.2k back. Don't get me wrong, I'm still pissed that I have to pay as much as I do but that's absurd. They tax the hell out of you all year. That's almost $770 a month that you should have in your pocket.

That's true but, it's like a savings account you can only get into once a year. I'm not happy paying so much throughout the year but. I like the check at the end of the year. NY kills us on taxes! They just raised taxes on cigarettes again too! A pack of marlboro will cost you $9.80!!!!

Archived