LegacyGT.com

Perrin DP touching firewall insulation

westy66

after installing my new Perrin DP i noticed that its REALLY close to the firewall, its even slightly touching the insulation blanket.

should i wrap the DP? i dont want an engine fire.

im pretty pissed about this. its the second thing ive gotten from Fred Beans Parts that was either not as advertised or should have come with some disclaimer. i CANNOT be the only one whose DP is this tight. is this from an early batch or something?

If your talking about the single catted perrin, I have the same pipe and it is quite close. I did wrap it just in case.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Very common issue with the Perrin DP on BL/BPs.

I didn't trust my recall, so I did a quick search, and it brought up many past threads that showed this issue.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I think poor fitment is par for the Perrin course.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Its Perrin, lol. Some stuff fits great and some... Some things come with al the hardware and some... Don't blame FBP. They do the best they can and when an issue arises they defend you against Perrin. The Dp fit is a known issue. Wrap that bad boy.

ROFL..@ everyone, including myself.... :lol: ^ You better pass me that big hammer, m sprank and whitetiger, I'm *still* tinkering with my Invidia Q-300. :lol:

We own BL/BPs - we should all get out there with hammers (my wife prefers the ball-peen), and get our cars to factory tolerance!

:lol:

Anyone ever find a *full* can of BPR in the fenderliner or the recesses of the aero/splash shield/guard? I know several of us have, over the years, found empty cans....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Damned dyslexia.... :lol:

Or maybe I've just had one too many? It is Friday, ya know! :lol:

westy, one of the LERSOC/Forced4 brothers works for DEI, IIRC. He should be able to get you products pretty close to cost.

i dont want people to get the impression that im holding FBP responsible.... im not. i just think that after an issue arises, that maybe a small disclaimer could be listed on their site regarding fitament.

this is a known issue with the perrin single piece DP. hit the firewall alittle with a big hammer to make some clearance.

I've tried that, there isn't much room to get a good swing. Plus the metal in that area is near the HVAC box. I'd be afraid to damage something in there.

WRAP IT! :)

i dont want people to get the impression that im holding FBP responsible.... im not. i just think that after an issue arises, that maybe a small disclaimer could be listed on their site regarding fitament.

If they bad mouthed Perrin (which is exactly how Perrin would see it, read some of their posts) it would cause major issues. Its just not how business works.

^ Unfortunate, but true.

It's sadly up to the end-buyer to do the homework.

While individual sellers (or others on that level - i.e. an "installs only" shop) may be able to put out such cautions, a full-fledged retailer can really set themselves up for trouble, if any disclaimers outside of what the manufacturer/distributor/other upstream source puts out is actually documented/quoted. :( Certainly, on a person-to-person phone call, Forum private message, IM, or the like, something may be passed along "off the record," but to have anything openly stated really would put said retailer in a very difficult situation.

Meh mine touches the insulation too. It kind of fixed it self over time, other then that I have no issues with my downpipe.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Archived