LegacyGT.com

diagnosis of engine code problems?

Diane96

please help pps!

i have a 96 legacy with 330xxxkm:lol:

about a month ago it threw cyl 2 missfire code and would run rough randomly. so far i have done plugs, wires, coil, igniter, and both o2 censors.(it was also throwing that code). i just read the codes again today it is throwing 6 codes! all 4 injector codes, cyl 2 missfire and the second o2 which i just replaced. and the missfire in cylinder 2 is getting alot worse as time goes by. mostly happens at higher speeds. ive been doin this:spin:so any ideas or suggestions would be great. my machanic said its most likely a bad connection to the ecu or something of that nature. so im going to try some stuff tonight but you never know.

thanks

Bryson

sounds like injectors. Car is probably running rich and the cat is unable to get rid of all the unburned fuel, so the 2nd o2 is giving under threshold code. Once the source of richness(injectors) is fixed the O2 cod should not come back.

O.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe injector related. Dump a couple containers of injector cleaner in the tank and fill the car up halfway.

I initially thought of the head gaskets, but the probability of all 4 injectors throwing codes as well as the O2 sensor is unlikely. What codes is the car throwing at you?

Also, it might be worth your while to unbolt the cat and unplug the battery before trying again. The second O2 sensor is made to report diagnostic data from the catalytic converters to the ECU. If the cat is clogged it can throw the O2 sensor code. Usually O2 sensor codes are common in all cars since O2 sensors suck in the first place. In my opinion, they're the manufacturers way of ensuring you have to spend money more often. :lol:

are you losing high end power? Is the car not running under load? what other symptons are you having?

I ask because I had similar beginning issues and found that the 2nd cat was clogged. I ran rich for too long and some fuel was getting by the rings and diluting the oil, unbeknownst to me.

Wound up spinning a bearing which I am now in the midst of replacing as soon as I have the crank reground.

O.

Not really, just a lightened crank pulley for now.

Just became a part of the unemployed, so my "disposable income" is kind of limited. I was planning to put some new cams in, plus a tune, but it will have to wait.

Life goes on.

O.

• 2 weeks later...
k thanks for the thoughts. i have been away on vacation so havent really done anything. shes still running tho! still my daily runner. ya it could beinjectors but my machanic said that does not make sense for all 4 injectors to go wrong. he thinks it is before the injectors like the fuel pressure, or fuel pressure regulator. the cat was replaced 2 years ago so i dont think that is the problem. other symptoms? there are not really any. lol. i do hear a ticking now and again (injector?) but mainly it is the loss of a cylinder type feeling, most common when a higher speed (100km) has been held for about a couple mins. it is really strange tho, if i keep my foot on the throttle it fixes itself after 20 seconds of really rough driving. then it will be fine for about 1-2 mins and then the same thing again... it also occurs at idle sometimes, mostly when i come to an abrupt stop... ya wierd. that is why im thinking fuel pressure.

Archived