LegacyGT.com

Preparing for the Dragon

I'm making a road trip (Jul 18th) from Arkansas to North Carolina and will be making a special trek through Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon on the way to and from. Yes, I am super excited. ;)

I have a stock LGT but am really wanting to do something to her before I go. My old Impreza had a full Kartboy short shifter, knob and bushing setup and it made driver engagement amazing. I also had front and rear swaybars/endlinks and they really flattened out the cornering/ improved turn in.

So...other than standard maintenance (oil change, wash-wax) what do you think I should invest in to make my road trip/Dragon trip the most enjoyable on a budget of ~$350? I would obviously need to order my parts very quickly and I doubt they would come in before I leave, but hell it's worth a shot! :D

Sorry for the long post!

I'd say make sure your breaks and tires are in good shape (so you don't die), and maybe bring a radar detector. There are days without a single cop, and ones were the Tennessee highway patrol is out there in mass.

That said, even though I only live an hour or so from it, the only time I've been out there was in a rented SUV. NOT FUN....

^^^ Thanks for the tip man. I might get a radar detector then. Anyone know of any stealthy mounting options for this? I'd like to keep my interior pretty clean, maybe something in the coin/ashtray area. I really don't know anything about them. Last time I looked into one was when I was 14 and reading a C&D article on Valentines.

EDIT: forgot to say that I have Continental ContiExtremeSportContacts All Season All Weather (long name for a tire!) with about...7K on them? Brakes are okayish. I'll have to go for a spirited drive this week to see if I need new ones. The only problem is that I can't see the reason to upgrade pads if I don't upgrade to slotted rotors too. (talk about modding addiction!)

Yep, it will be good to be back. Even if it's not the exact part of the state we are from.

If u see a Silver Outback XT, tinted, lowered and sportin the Hogzaust sound, that be me.

I'll keep an eye out. Do you ever go to the Happy Bays meets? NWA Imports is a crappy forum that I used to frequent; not even sure if it is still up. They used to post up meet locations for local ricers for Happy Bays in Bville and Sonic meets in Fville by the Subaru dealership.

If you see a red LGT sporting...well sporting nothing but a ginger in the driver's seat you've found me!

If your brakes are good and you don't get a radar detector (unless that isn't part of your LGT budget), I'd say get a set of swaybars. That will make a HUGE difference in the handling.

Here is how I have my radar detector mounted/wired. My LCD display is programed only to come on when it warns me, so there is no glowing at night to draw any attention.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2636853&postcount=11

Have fun but from what I've heard it's ruined now with tourists and cops.

It sounds like the best time to hit it is very early morning.

Just make sure your pads are good and put in some Motul or Super Blue...at the very least bleed your brakes.

I have two quarts of Super Blue so I'll plan to do that Wednesday.

If your brakes are good and you don't get a radar detector (unless that isn't part of your LGT budget), I'd say get a set of swaybars. That will make a HUGE difference in the handling.

Here is how I have my radar detector mounted/wired. My LCD display is programed only to come on when it warns me, so there is no glowing at night to draw any attention.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2636853&postcount=11

Thanks for the info on the radar detector. :) Sways are definitely up my alley. I'm just having a problem deciding between sways or a Kartboy shift kit

You mentioned the kartboy ss from your impreza. Why not get it for the Legacy? I really miss having a short shifter. That will probably be my next mod. Fred Beans Parts has ran specials on them in the past.

I miss mine too! :( I'll have to check the for sale forum.

Sad news everyone...the Dacia Sandero will not be coming to the States.

JK but seriously sad news. My brother's car is broken and needs repairing. He is going on a road trip to a wedding the same time I'm supposed to go to the Dragon. Needless to say I won't be making my trip. :( Feels bad man.

Archived