LegacyGT.com

1998 Subaru Legacy

Hey there

I recently bought a 98 Subaru Legacy L with 194k miles. It's leaking pretty badly some sort of reddish lubricant, not sure if it is power steering fluid or automatic transmission fluid, probably transmission fluid.

Any ideas while watching at the attached picture?

And I don't know what I should expect when looking at the transmission fluid dipstick, it kind of is a little bit reddish all the way to top hot, even when cold.

I would appreciate any comments

Thanks

Sam

tn_DSCF8946.thumb.jpg.857bda506fb173e4788bfe8d619ea520.jpg

Hey welcome to the forum!

I got a couple of ideas, since you said it full hwen cold, it could mean you have too much fluid.

Did you try to put some blue stuff around the tranny oil pan to keep it from leaking? but what is that lol I have no clue lol. I would get some tranny fluid and just flush, clean it alll up then put refill it check the levels, drive it, put it through every gear (p,r,d,1,2,3) and then come back and check levels, and check for dripps.

thats my best advice hope it helps

yeah definitely get a good reading on how much fluid you have. I think the blueish stuff is the gasket haha, and if it rly is then it's near the end of it's life. I just did a tranny filter and gasket job on mine, and it's really easy. You can get a kit from napa for like $20, and it has the filter and cork gasket (which I really like better). Then it's just a matter of installing it. But if you can find where exactly the leak is, the better off you are.

Hey thanks for the answers.

So I have no clue what the blueish stuff is neither.

Do you know by the way the exact name and type of gasket kit I would need for that? And should I just drain the transmission pan and top it off again? Since the car has 194k miles...

Is the tranny fluid level easily to see on your dip sticks?

What's the best way to determine the place of the leak?

Thanks

Not saying it would, just that it would explain why the transmission fluid level is unchanged and why there is red fluid dripping off the bottom of the car.

*Disclaimer: This post is likely just as sarcastic as my last one.*

roadkill for dinner? :spin:

Take a trip to napa or autozone, say you need a transmission filter and gasket kit for your 98 legacy, and you should be all set. I HATE READING THE FLUID LEVEL ON THE DIPSTICK, I can never figure it out. The fluid is always too damn clear!

That bluish stuff is a previous attempt by the last owner to fix the leak that currently has you stumped.

To be more specific, its Permatex Blue Gasket Sealer. The last owner probably either had the pan off and didn't replace the gasket, or wound up with a crack in the existing gasket and tried to fix it the cheap way.

If you want to do a complete transmission flush with a new filter and a new gasket, the part number you need is... AutoZone Part No. TF222. It costs $25.50 and comes with a new filter and gasket. Be sure to remove any old gasket material from the transmission and pan without letting any of the flakes fall into the pan while you're at it.

Reading the transmission dipstick is a pain in the ass. Be sure to run the transmission through all the gears with the engine running, and also be sure to leave the engine running and in neutral before pulling the dipstick to check the level. The dipstick to the left of the engine is for the front differential, and the dipstick to the right of the engine is for the transmission fluid. This is a common mistake that can be a real PITA to clean up.

Oh, and the easiest way to determine the exact location of a transmission leak (When the leak is in the area of the pan gasket) is to replace the gasket. Sealants will only work for a short time, and transmission additives do more harm than good. Its worth the $25 to make the problem disappear for good, trust me. Otherwise you could be chasing the same leak for months and months to no avail.

Even manual transmissions can develop leaks, particularly around the input shaft seals/output shaft seals. The leaks are less critical, however, since the fluid is just lubricating gear oil and pressure is of no concern. I love manual cars and trucks, but I hate replacing clutches. When it comes down do it, I'd rather drive a manual. At the same time, I'd rather do a routine transmission flush than a routine clutch replacement anyday. I haven't decided which one outweighs the other, but it really is a pain in the ass to replace a clutch compared to doing an A/T transmission flush.

@ Platinum_Racing

Thanks for your answer, that really helped me out a lot. I will try and replace the gasket on monday. I filled in two quarts of transmission fluid yesterday, and after that I was able to watch it dripping out, by now I probably lost all of it again (even without driving the car).

One screw of the transmission pan seems to be broken (the head is missing), I hope that will not cause leaking even with a new gasket, what do you think?

Thanks so far

Where does it look like the trans fluid is leaking from? If it's coming from around the general area of the broken bolt, then you know the answer to your question. ABSOLUTELY get that broken bolt out while you're down there. You could get one of those easy-out sets (many brands make them; I've got a craftsman set that's saved my ass too many times), save the hole, and just pick up a new bolt from a hardware store and problem solved.

Any updates on fixing the leak?

Hey

So I removed the tranny oil pan and there was no gasket there, just the Permatex Ultra Blue mess. I put a new gasket on and reinstalled the oil pan. But there are now three broken bolts. (The heads are missing, I didn't have the tools to get the rest out, so I just put the oil pan back up with those bolts missing. Until now it is not leaking anymore. I'm wondering if I could remove those broken bolts with the pan installed? Or if I just should leave it and see if it developes a leak or not.

Thanks

Sam

in theory, you should be able to. I can't remember how thick the pan material is, but if it's too thick the tapping tool might not be able to get into the hole that the bolt is in. You might end up needing to remove the pan again; but drain all of the fluid you have into a bucket so you can reuse it :)

Archived