LegacyGT.com

Battery and Brake Light

Ok, here is my situation,

I have a 1996 Subaru Legacy,

A few weeks ago I just got a new 12" sub woofer and an 800w amp installed along with a new radio. About a week ago I got a new set of speakers installed. Now just today I pulled up to the gas station to get gas, filled up the car as I always do and got back. When I turned the car back on the first thing I noticed after all the dash lights went off is the battery and brake light remained on and my parking brake was not engaged. I am concerned as to what it could be and am looking for some help. I did noticed that if I pull the parking brake lever, the brake light gets a tiny bit brighter. I am just looking for some advice as to what has caused this issue, if I could get some advice as to what I should do next that would be great.

alternator, either something is drawing its unfair share of power away from the alternator from what u had installed, or your alternator is about to step out the door, I would go get it tested, becasue, if your alternator takes a dump, then everything runs off the battery and when that drains you have no more power to run your car. Check it out

+1

I had the same issue. Turns out my alternator was bad, but that's not to scare you. It could be a bad connection too; keep driving it, and if more warning lights pop on or if the tach stops working, your car isn't running off the alternator anymore. Be careful how far you take it from your home!

Also, I've read that I can self test it if I take unplug the positive connector from the battery while the car is running and if it stops running then its the alternator, I was wondering if that was a good idea or not.

A volt meter is your friend in testing the alternator. Voltage with engine running should be around 13.6 to 14.4 volts.

If it is lower the car is running off the battery. Just check the alternator belt first so it isn't broken. Simple fault that can have a boring result.

453747.png

• 1 month later...
i just got a recall that says my 96 need a modified alternator go to your local subaru dealership and get yourself a free alternator

Hello,

I have the same problem, with no aftermarket add-ons. How do I go about obtaining a Subaru-sourced replacement alternator under recall? Thanks much!

Same issue on my car, had problems with autozone because my alternator failed the voltage regulator test while it was on the car, but passed when I took it off and took it to another autozone to get replaced [they didnt have it in stock at the first one]. I think it had something to do with the RPM's they were testing it at with the machine as opposed to what it was running on my car. Whatever though, I bitched about it until they called the other autozone and gave me a new alternator.

Archived