LegacyGT.com

93 legacy Won't start after seal fixes

I just took the front timing cover, camshaft pulleys, & crankshaft pulley. I replaced the cam & crankshaft seals to hopefully fix an oil leak. I decided not to do the timing belt & water pump because it's a budget driver for me and the belt looked pretty good.

Now that I've got it all back together, along with new spark plugs, it won't start. The starter cranks, but I'm not getting any ignition. There was one small pop like one cylinder tried get going, but nothing else.

Did I mess up the timing when putting it back together? This seems to be the only answer, but this is the most in-depth repair I've done, so I might be missing something.

That's what I was going to suggest, but it would have had to be a lot of teeth off to not fire up at all. You can break down into the timing belt in 15 minutes. Just check the marks (if they're still there). Worst case scenario a timing belt is probably about $35.

All right, I got the timing correct from the subaruvanagon link. Thanks by the way. Now it's all back together. When I turn the key, I hear a fast clicking, but it's not cranking or turning over. What'd I mess up?

Update, took the starter to Napa, it works fine. I can't think what's different from yesterday, besides the position of the timing belt.

Battery? Battery Cables? When you turn the key and hear clicking with no cranking, it's the starter relay throwing a kanipshin because there isn't enough juice to crank the motor. I bet between all the cranking you did trying to get it going, and leaving the keys in the "On" position while you're working on it drained the battery down to zilch.

Give it a jump or just use another car to charge up the battery then try again. Your battery may very well be toast, however. Since this is a budget daily driver, I'd just get a cheap battery at Wal-Mart and call it a day.

If the engine cranks, but still won't fire I'd start checking for sensors that might have come undone while you had it all apart... Like the cam position sensor for one.

Victory! I left the old battery on a 2amp charge overnight. I put it in this morning and it fired right up. Sounds like I got the timing right as well. Last night I bought a new battery, but I thought I'd try the old one anyway. I'll hang onto the new one for a week or so, and if it's going well, I'll take it back to Walmart.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Trevor

Archived