LegacyGT.com

Need Suspension help!!

Rockets GT

First off, I've searched a ton already, but 99% of people want to lower their car or make the suspension stiffer. Not me.

So my stock struts with Tein H-Techs are done for and to be honest, I'm over them too. I'm over how stiff the ride is when traveling over bad roads or even average roads. I literally get embarrassed when I have people in my car because its so stiff and bumpy.

Sooo, I'm ready for a change somewhere back towards stock. Would a combination like Bilstein HD's and stock springs do the trick? I'm not interested in any kind of drop or performance aspect, I'm just trying to make my car more passenger friendly.

Thanks in advance dudes.

Rick

granted I am still a little newer to the LGT community, in general the Bilsteins are going to be harder then stock (also referenced in several threads)... so it will be a bit more rigid. if you are going back to stock springs then I'd get KYB GR2s, or hell, if stock rids is what you want, find some cheap monroe gas struts... cheaper and more plentiful

T

The KYB GR2s are intended to be KYB's aftermarket equivalent of the underdamped stock USDM LGT struts/shocks, which are also made by KYB. I'd recommend running stock springs w/ Konis if you want stock ride height without the floatiness of the stock strut/shock combo. Plus, the Konis are adjustable.

^^^ sounds like a win to me.

though, something came to mind... The harsher ride you are referring to, COULD be because the H techs are too much spring for the stock struts, and thus its not the springs but the struts that are the problem. It may be something to look into to grab a set of Koni inserts (not THAT much more then KYB) and see if with their adjustable range you can actually enjoy the Tein springs. even if not, then at least you now have proper struts and can go back to stock springs on the koni and have a better ride.

T

Stock sturs are not up to the H-tech. The H-tech killed my stock struts in less then a year. I have KW V.2 for the last 2yrs and still really like them. I went with KWs because I didn't want to deal with all of the spring and strut combos out there.

What every setup you get make sure to get one that uses rubber top hats. The rubber top hats help take some of the edge off impacts alot more than stiff camber plates.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

The KYB GR2s are intended to be KYB's aftermarket equivalent of the underdamped stock USDM LGT struts/shocks, which are also made by KYB. I'd recommend running stock springs w/ Konis if you want stock ride height without the floatiness of the stock strut/shock combo. Plus, the Konis are adjustable.

What is your recommendation on the Koni adjustment? Is full soft too soft?

...I have KW V.2 for the last 2yrs and still really like them. I went with KWs because I didn't want to deal with all of the spring and strut combos out there. What every setup you get make sure to get one that uses rubber top hats. The rubber top hats help take some of the edge off impacts alot more than stiff camber plates.

x2. I have KW V.2 and really like them. It is AMAZING how adjustable they are. Very, very adjustable - great for DD and spirited driving. Soft top hats +1. I liked ItsMe and MSprank's setup so much I eventually got my own! Whats not to love other than the price. I have a 1 finger gap front and rear, do not rub on my 18x7.5 and with a 90 degree turn of my dampers I can go from street with 3 girls and potholes with comfort to carving the canyons. I am stoked on the KW2 but yeah, the price....

What is your recommendation on the Koni adjustment? Is full soft too soft?

I've not tried the Konis (I have Bilstein HDs), but there are numerous people here who have and are very happy with them. However, my understanding is that full soft on the Konis is still better damped than the soggy stock KYBs.

I will be getting the ISC coilovers very soon. I've read many great reviews on them and they are selling at a great price. You might contact andrew AJW performance and see what he has to say about them. He's always been real helpful with my questions.

Wow...this thread came to life!! Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I'm still trying to figure out what the best route is going to be, but I'm leaning towards the Bilstein HD's paired with Rallitek's Sport Spring.

Archived