LegacyGT.com

2010 VW Golf TDi

At least it's not a hybrid.

This is not your father's diesel. My experience with my father's diesel Mercedes 190D & 300SD glacially slow off the line but once moving will cruise @ 85mph all day long. Personal experience with my 7.3 '00 F250 very LOUD! '98 New Beetle 1.9 TDi not fast, but only needed fill up every other week.

The VW is quick! Off the line quick! Sport mode, chirps the tires and pushes you back in you seat. When in Sport mode up shifts are made at red line 4200 rpm. Manual shifting with paddles or stick will get old as the red line does come up fast. In-town you would be able to hold you own in the stop light Gran Prix, but not return 35mpg. VW claims 0-60 in 8.9. That said on the highway it lacks the 50-80mph punch the Legacy had. Inside the TDi is no louder then the Subaru at idle as well as under acceleration. The ride is nice, stiff and sporty, but not harsh (IE: the wife didn't b!tch). Much more room then the Legacy inside. FWD will take some getting used to again. Will miss the Subaru's acceleration, mid range punch and AWD but won't miss the frequent stops for gas.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_GU6ypiIRkwk/TC86U3S8nyI/AAAAAAAACB8/mTUezFIbeCg/s512/100701%20044.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_GU6ypiIRkwk/TC867zAc_-I/AAAAAAAACCU/I_3TwWtpG8Q/s512/100701%20031.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_GU6ypiIRkwk/TC87AkgEWyI/AAAAAAAACCk/qI9Qq0jUxaE/s512/100701%20030.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_GU6ypiIRkwk/TC87FZaOa7I/AAAAAAAACCo/0KT_5IS_PrQ/s512/100701%20037.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on a very nice TDI!!! I enjoy my 2010 Jetta SW TDI very much, despite it being slow in comparison to my last few cars (LGT included).

Any reason why you did not go for the manual tranny, instead of the DSG? People talk a lot of smack about the DSG and its reliability, but it worked great in my Audi A3 for well over 80k miles...

Congrats bdisco. Car is really sharp. Looks like you have a fully loaded one - DSG and Xenons. I hope to get one in about a year. I would probably get a white one with DSG.

I have enough drama for now.....

I got an auto instead of a stick for the few times a year we go into Boston to catch a Sox/Celts game and get caught in bumper to bumper 1ST-2ND gear crawl traffic. The bug-eyed WRX I had prior to the Legacy did not like to go slow and abhorred traffic. The DSG is unlike any auto I've driven before. When approaching a stop the car will down shift, when it's almost stopped it's like you let the clutch out in first and it leans you forward against your seat belt, not smooth. It's hard to describe. Maybe the car has to learn and I have to get used to it.

Yes I loaded this car up. Dynaudio, Sat Nav, Blue Tooth, Xenons, airbags for everybody, probably why it's took 3 months for delivery.

Oh yeah got the car on Wednesday and had tint installed Friday felt like I was in a fish blow and everyone was staring at me.

Congrats! I, too, am seriously considering a diesel for my next car. Please keep this thread updated with your impressions over the next year+!

I'm a die-hard manual-tranny fan, but would definitely be tempted by the DSG unit. Let us know how it works out for you!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I am trying to figure out how to swing a BMW 335d as my next car. Most likely won't happen, but I'll plot away nonetheless.

Hey Subaru, how about developing a H6 twin turbodiesel and put it in the new Legacy? I'd be a buyer, and that is saying a lot given how ugly the new Legacy is.

The 2010 Golf is made in Germany and comes standard with the GTI suspension, brakes and some other goodies not available on the Jetta.

I test drove a 2 door TDI Golf . It was a nice car in my opinion.

Good luck with it.

According to the window sticker:

Parts: 1o/o US/Canada 75o/o Germany

Assembled: Wolfsburg Germany

Engine: Hungary

Transmission: Germany

And yes the US bound TDis come with the sport suspension package. I haven't lifted an inside rear wheel yet but there's always tomorrow...:icon_bigg

You would have a hard time telling this car was a diesel if I didn't tell you.

• 4 weeks later...
I got an auto instead of a stick for the few times a year we go into Boston to catch a Sox/Celts game and get caught in bumper to bumper 1ST-2ND gear crawl traffic.

A few times? You didn't get a MT because you drive in traffic a few times a year. ...I didn't buy a swimming suit because I only go to the ocean a few times a year.

very nuice!
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 2 weeks later...
The 2010 Golf is made in Germany and comes standard with the GTI suspension, brakes and some other goodies not available on the Jetta.

I test drove a 2 door TDI Golf . It was a nice car in my opinion.

Good luck with it.

What I find weird is just two things: no leather (or even leatherette). Also, the color choices - I think VW managed to even beat Subaru at having the most boring colors ever. I'd be willing to pay extra money just to get it in Laser Blue. Red is nice, and probably the only nice color they got for it other than black.

I love the Forester XT, but it has a bit of a drinking problem... Thank God I didn't get something like a Jeep SRT8 (EPA MPG rating of 11/14). :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm optimistc, perhaps incorrectly so, that the Toyobaru will usher in an era of fuel efficient Subarus...Not Subaru's aren't, but the ones with any power really are lacking in the fuel economy dept.

Not to derail this thread, but just for comparison's sake. The new 4.2L A8 Quattro recieved an EPA rating of 17/27, up from 16/23, making it best in class and better than its RWD competitors (LS 460 17/24). If Audi can do it in a large sedan I am confident that Subaru can.

I'm optimistc, perhaps incorrectly so, that the Toyobaru will usher in an era of fuel efficient Subarus...Not Subaru's aren't, but the ones with any power really are lacking in the fuel economy dept.

Not to derail this thread, but just for comparison's sake. The new 4.2L A8 Quattro recieved an EPA rating of 17/27, up from 16/23, making it best in class and better than its RWD competitors (LS 460 17/24). If Audi can do it in a large sedan I am confident that Subaru can.

I hope so. I love the turbocharged power and AWD, but most of the other automakers are getting more power and better fuel mileage out of smaller 4 cylinder engines. Look at the 2011 Ford Explorer with the 4 cylinder ecoboost engine. Ford's testing is showing that they are confident that the EPA will give it 29 mpg on the highway. That's a heavy 2.5 ton massive beast of burden, which is making more horsepower and torque from a turbocharged 4 cylinder, weighs 1500-2000 lbs more than my Forester, and is also getting 5 mpg better highway fuel mileage than my Forester is rated for.

I hope so. I love the turbocharged power and AWD, but most of the other automakers are getting more power and better fuel mileage out of smaller 4 cylinder engines. Look at the 2011 Ford Explorer with the 4 cylinder ecoboost engine. Ford's testing is showing that they are confident that the EPA will give it 29 mpg on the highway. That's a heavy 2.5 ton massive beast of burden, which is making more horsepower and torque from a turbocharged 4 cylinder, weighs 1500-2000 lbs more than my Forester, and is also getting 5 mpg better highway fuel mileage than my Forester is rated for.

Yeah, the industry is definately moving forward quickly, as they have to. It's nice that a Legacy with a CVT has better mileage than an Accord. But the 330 HP S4 (18/28) vs. the 265 HP LGT (18/25) shows that Subaru is falling behind. If the rumors are true and Subaru is doing a DI version of the 2.0L this is good, but perusing the internet (Subaru UK for instance) hasn't given me any evidence that the aging EJ20 is any more efficient than the EJ25 in current forms....I am skeptical.

I was VERY close to getting a 2010 Jetta SW TDI instead of my Outback. If it were 4-motion (with the 6MT), I would have gotten it. That was the only thing that turned me off.

Subaru's, all of them, have always had notoriously poor fuel economy.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Subaru's, all of them, have always had notoriously poor fuel economy.

I calculated my fuel economy last week. Doing 100% city driving in an older Legacy with a number of miles on it I calculated 23 MPG. I would say that is pretty good for an AWD vehicle and well over the 20 MPG rating. So no, Subarus have not always had notoriously poor fuel economy.

That's "good" to you? Similar vintage Honda Accords easily got in the 35+ MPG range with their 2.2L I-4.

My 2009 gets in the 24 range frequently... and I don't consider that "good" by any means. My wife's 09 Impreza (N/A) gets 23mpg all city. Still not "good"

"Good" is in the high 20's (27+).

A 4.2L Audi A8 matches the fuel economy of my 2.5L 4-cylinder station wagon.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That's "good" to you? Similar vintage Honda Accords easily got in the 35+ MPG range with their 2.2L I-4.

Please list these similarities between a 2.2L, FWD Accord, and a 2.5L AWD Legacy GT. I am dying to know.

By your logic a 2010 Golf TDI is waste of money in comparison to a 1988 Honda CRX.

A more valid comparison would be a V6 Accord Crosstour with AWD (17/25) with an H6 Subaru Outback (18/25).

Archived