LegacyGT.com

Turbo failure on the '05 LGT

Hi,

I am looking to buy an '05 LGT from a private seller, 66k miles, wagon, 5-speed AT. The car seems in great condition, but the owner was honest with me and told me that the turbo had been changed TWICE in the last year (the first one failed, the second one was apparently faulty).

Do you think there is something wrong with this engine in general that the turbos keep failing, or should I be happy that the car now has a new turbo that will last for a long time?

The guy is offering a really good price ($11,500) and I'm worried it might be a lemon...

Thanks in advance,

~K

Did you ask him who installed the replacement turbo? People have 100K miles on thier stock turbo. Some do have problems, but if it was a new turbo installed, by someone who knew how to do it right, it could be a good deal. You could ask a member with some knowledge, who lives in your area, to check it out with you. Where are you located? If you live by a member who knows how to log, they could pull a Leaning View on the car and test drive it while logging.

Did you two clean, or remove the little screens on the banjo bolts? Just curious.

Yes that's what they are talking about.

I have 128,000 miles on the oem turbo and the oem banjo fitting with the screen in as far as I know. Unless the dealer removed it during one of the 3 tranny rebuilds.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^ YES and...

I had my banjo in and when we pulled my turbo with nearly 60k miles of timely synth oil changes and it was in excellent condition, no shaft play front to back at all and the teeniest bit of motion side to side (normal - that is where oil goes).

Like was suggested above by knowledgeable members, the turbo was REPLACED as if it was the problem, not what caused the turbo failure. The most obvious reason would be oil starvation, particularly with known issues.

I suppose it is possible the CAT in the UP could have started disintegrating but since the owner did not mention catastrophic failure or mechanical grenading of the 1st turbo it is probably not the CAT/UP

Archived