LegacyGT.com

Here is why you do not throw on a bunch of mods, without a tune

McDowell Performance Tunin

I am going to be tuning an 03 WRX on Thursday and needed to flash his stock map to my computer, to start building a map. I also like to take a learning view before to show and expalin how their car is running. This person installed the following the day before and has been driving around:

New catless up pipe

Full turbo back catless exhaust

CAI

Here is his learning view. Keep in mind, the older 16bit Subaru's are suppose to have an IAM of 16...:rolleyes:

Let this be a lesson to those who want to mod their car without some sort of tune.

229037489_LearningView_SS_6-29-201063334PM.jpg.7d3d7c6ebe334a52ebb5801b95a4ffec.jpg

yeah, I was shocked when he told me what he had installed and had been driving around. I basically told him to stay out of boost as much as possible. But looking at his learning view, he's been in the higher load ranges. Hopefully he makes it to the tune tomorrow...

Looks like he is knocking all the way through the rpms under load :(

Am I looking at that right?

Good to see there is no knock after 12,800 rpm, hehe.

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

When your ECU is below 16, for the 16 bit Subarus, it basically tries to "fix itself". It may hold boost back some, but you can see it also shows positive numbers, so it's adding and taking away timing, trying to fix the issues. He was running his stock map with a catless exhaust system. (I thought he also put a CAI system in, but at least that was stock, but dirty.) Point is, If you are going to install parts, either have a tuner come to you when you are finished, tune it yourself, have it done at a shop, or an AcessPort. It's best to have the fore thought of figuring these details out before adding aftermarket parts. A lot of people are use to throwing exhaust on their Honda and not having these types of issues. Turbo charged cars are subject to problems thowing on parts blindly. Some learn the hard way.

I installed a catless up, catted shorty down and a perrin big maf and Kn drop-in about a yr ago, have been driving and logging and never saw problems. I guess its cause I didnt make big changes. My friends always argued with me becasue i had no tune and did it. In hind sight I knew nothing of this site or the potential problems I could have caused. I wouldnt do it again but Im glad I had no problems/or any to my knowledge. I recently put on a DP, intake and EBCS but the car is literally 3 ft from me waiting for my map to get here.

Yeah...like when I took my first LV screenshot of my Cobb Stg2 map. Talk about knock!

That honestly was one of the worst I've seen on a pretty basic setup running a "conservative tune". Glad things are working out with the most recent venture.

That honestly was one of the worst I've seen on a pretty basic setup running a "conservative tune". Glad things are working out with the most recent venture.

You would think that Cobb, having a shop in SLC for dyno testing, would have their maps calibrated for 4500ft elevation. Therefore Utah cars would have the best results. Quite the opposite in my case!

My friend has a 2005 LGT 5EAT, and I keep trying to get him to bring his car over so I can take some LV screenshots and log a couple runs to see how he's doing (he's running a Cobb Stg2 tune). He just got his CNT catted DP and he's going to find a catback, then he's going to do a custom tune as well.

Archived