LegacyGT.com

Where do you guys hide your radar detector?

Gemini91

One additional caveat is that such a setup isn't completely "stealth." Again, from various angles behind and to the side of the vehicle, the detector's alerts - as-visualized in the etched/embedded portion of the mirror - will still be visible.

I never thought about this aspect of it. Now I'm glad I didn't get one.

It's legal in indiana, but cops will be pissed off if they see you have this kind of technology... My friends told me I can just put the detector away very quickly if I'm pulled over... But I don't think I can do that...

They just laugh when they see mine and ask if it went off... One time I had to reply yeah it said Laser so I knew I was screwed... LOL

I never thought about this aspect of it. Now I'm glad I didn't get one.

^ :) That is a consideration that's often not apparent to those who are not in the hobby. :)

But once you've been tipped to it, it's clear as day. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I have my V1 on the window right below my rear view mirror... and can tuck it away if i so choose... but I dont. eventually I want to hard wire it in and put it right below the headliner above the rear view. And wire in a mute button somewhere more convienent.

I did exactly that. Wired it into my mirror.

• 6 months later...

To update this thread from a while ago, I finally purchased a V-1. It arrived today, and I got it mounted in no time, it was literally a breeze. I'll likely re-locate it to above the mirror, once I figure out a way to get the suction cups to stick on the dotted pattern above the mirror, as right now they do not.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb223/0honegt/Legacy/IMAG0283.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb223/0honegt/Legacy/IMAG0291.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb223/0honegt/Legacy/IMAG0289.jpg

A thin piece of plexi - or even metal - will do just fine.

Alternatively, you can try to "smooth out" those dimples with two or three layers of clear packing tape.

You can also use the old trick of applying a thin smear of vacuum grease around just the circumference of the suction cup (the mount in my wife's '09 FXT is now going on two years, using this method, without falling off once).

Finally, you can use SuperLock:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/radar-detectors-general/29822-mounting-rd-above-your-rvm.html

And virtually forget about needing those suction cups, ever. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

A thin piece of plexi - or even metal - will do just fine.

Alternatively, you can try to "smooth out" those dimples with two or three layers of clear packing tape.

You can also use the old trick of applying a thin smear of vacuum grease around just the circumference of the suction cup (the mount in my wife's '09 FXT is now going on two years, using this method, without falling off once).

Finally, you can use SuperLock:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/radar-detectors-general/29822-mounting-rd-above-your-rvm.html

And virtually forget about needing those suction cups, ever. :)

As usual, very informative. Vacuum grease seems like an interesting idea. This will adhere the suction cups to the dimples? Where would I get vacuum grease? Anywhere that sells vacuums I assume? I may go with the superlock instead, we'll see which I can find first...

^ That's a great solution! Thanks for contributing! :)

----

As usual, very informative. Vacuum grease seems like an interesting idea. This will adhere the suction cups to the dimples? Where would I get vacuum grease? Anywhere that sells vacuums I assume? I may go with the superlock instead, we'll see which I can find first...

No problem, glad to be of-assistance. :)

You should be able to find a tube of silicone-based vac-grease at any hardware store. And it's really just a very, very thin bead along the perimeter/circumference/edge of the cup.

The idea, as with all these different ideas, is to provide a smooth surface for the suction cups to go to work on. :) The grease makes a seal where a more aged/inflexible or smaller cup cannot, over those dimples - and voila!

So for those that have hardwired their detectors into the mirror of dome light wiring, what wires did you tap into and use? I'm trying to hardwire a GPS ito the dome light area and want the Garmin to come on when a door is opened and evnetually turn off after the dome lights fade out and power is turned off.

Any clues as to what wires I should tap? This is also in a 2011 3.6RL.

Archived