LegacyGT.com

Gauging Interest II: Whose interested in a GB for Tein S-Tech and/or H-Tech springs?

SC GT

Oh yea SC GT, the US tein website www.tein.com says that the s-tech has a drop of 1.5 inch and h-tech has drop of .9 inch http://www.tein.com/ti/s70.html

Oh yea drift monkey, the reason why i did't respond to ur earlier posts was because i thought tein s-tech and h-tech were coilover systems. So hopefully we could get a GB going.

Coilovers? :lol:

AS A CLARIFICATION - The estimated price of $165-175 per set is for all four springs, shipping not included. The $400 price was a joke based upon the initially tepid response and Jaxx's joke that if the cost was $350 a set, people would be lining up to buy them.

FYI, THE SPECS, BASED UPON www.tein.co.jp, ARE AS FOLLOWS:

The spring rates for the S-Techs are 2.7-5.3 kgf/mm front, and 3.6-7.2 kgf/mm rear. Note that the spring rates have a range because they are progressive.

The sedans get a 25 mm drop in the front and 25 mm in the rear on the JDM Bilsteins. The wagons get a 25 mm drop in the front, and a 30 mm drop in the rear on the JDM Bilsteins.

The spring rates for the H-Techs are 3.1-4.7 kgf/mm front, and 4.1-6.5

kgf/mm rear. The sedans get a 15 mm drop in the front and 15 mm in the rear on the JDM Bilsteins. The wagons get a 15 mm drop in the front, and a 20 mm drop in the rear on the JDM Bilsteins. And they are made of a metal called vandium, for whatever that is worth.

FOR REFERENCE, the Sti Pinks’ spring rates are 3.9 in the front, and 5.9 in the rear (the Pinks are linear springs, so no range like the Teins). The drop is 15 mm front and rear on the JDM Bilsteins. Members who installed the pinks on USDM struts have reported drops anywhere from around .5 to 1.2 inches (12-30 mm), although most report around an inch drop (25 mm).

What those numbers will equate to with the Teins is anyone's guess. The only person I am aware of who has installed Tein springs on his USDM LGT is rossodave. He's got the S-Techs, and pics of his car and his impressions are in this thread - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11707.

Since enough people are interested, I'll call my guy on Monday and see what I can do.

Sorry to quote all of it... Please bear with me as I think aloud..

So, the S-techs are SOFTER initially, but stiffer eventually, while the H-techs are HARDER initially, but do not get as stiff?!?

That totally confuses me. I would have thought that one was more a "mild" spring, the other a "stiff" spring. (e.g. a range of 3-5 for one, 4-7 for the other) - I'd like a LITTLE stiffer (anyone have OEM rates?), especially in the back. But not rock hard.

Rossodave got the S-techs (SOFTER initially than the H-techs) and he's admitting to not a great ride? Can't imagine what the stiffer H-techs will do on bigger bumps..

Guess I'm just confused.

Also - how likely is this to blow out the USDM struts? I've heard of countless cases of that with VWs - going to stiffer/lowering springs with OEM struts and the OEM struts aren't good for more than 20K if you're lucky..

I'm thinking that, sure, $200 (figuring shipping) isn't bad at all, but then install + alignment.. (surely needed on an AWD car).. And then Subaru voids the OEM strut warranty (couldn't blame 'em in this case), and it's $400(?)+ for JDM Bilsteins + install + alignment all over.. And it's still a pieced-together solution. Tried that with Neuspeed springs + Bilstein struts (which supposedly matched) - they blew ever 2-3 years with consistency over a 10-year period.

Wondering if the Ksport coilovers for $1K (or less?) wouldn't work out to approx the same $$$, saving on install + alignment costs once..

HV

I talked to my guy and it looks like this will happen. I PM'd Tide to find out what I/they need to do before it's officially on. As soon as we dot our i's and cross our t's, I'll post the details.

Sorry to quote all of it... Please bear with me as I think aloud..

So, the S-techs are SOFTER initially, but stiffer eventually, while the H-techs are HARDER initially, but do not get as stiff?!?

That totally confuses me. I would have thought that one was more a "mild" spring, the other a "stiff" spring. (e.g. a range of 3-5 for one, 4-7 for the other) - I'd like a LITTLE stiffer (anyone have OEM rates?), especially in the back. But not rock hard.

Rossodave got the S-techs (SOFTER initially than the H-techs) and he's admitting to not a great ride? Can't imagine what the stiffer H-techs will do on bigger bumps..

Guess I'm just confused.

Also - how likely is this to blow out the USDM struts? I've heard of countless cases of that with VWs - going to stiffer/lowering springs with OEM struts and the OEM struts aren't good for more than 20K if you're lucky..

I'm thinking that, sure, $200 (figuring shipping) isn't bad at all, but then install + alignment.. (surely needed on an AWD car).. And then Subaru voids the OEM strut warranty (couldn't blame 'em in this case), and it's $400(?)+ for JDM Bilsteins + install + alignment all over.. And it's still a pieced-together solution. Tried that with Neuspeed springs + Bilstein struts (which supposedly matched) - they blew ever 2-3 years with consistency over a 10-year period.

Wondering if the Ksport coilovers for $1K (or less?) wouldn't work out to approx the same $$$, saving on install + alignment costs once..

HV

CLIFF'S NOTES VERSION:

Buy these at your own risk. I cannot vouch for anything other than that they will fit on your USDM struts.

LONG ANSWER:

I have no idea what the ride is like on the S-Techs vs. the H-Techs vs. stock vs. anything else. I have no idea whether or how soon they will blow out your USDM struts. I just posted the specs of the springs, I've never installed them, and to be honest with all of you, I'm not planning on installing them on my car (I've got a set of JDM GT Bilsteins and Wangan SPL springs that are set to be installed).

I received a few messages from people asking about the availability of these springs, so I contacted the guy who sold me Tein H-Techs for my Acura TL, and here we are.

The only personal comment about Tein springs I can make is that if I were to install a spring on my USDM struts, I would be willing to try the H-Techs. A conservative drop, mild initial spring rates, STi comparable performance rates. I would think, due to their progressive rates, they would be better ride-wise than the STi pinks. In any event, I could not see them riding much worse than the STi pinks. I would imagine they would be comparable in handling and drop to the pinks. Also, I was pleased with the quality and performance of the H-Tech's on my Acura TL. I even ordered a set of H-Techs earlier for my LGT for more than they will cost in this GB.

Enlight: I doubt they will fit on coilovers. However, if stock springs will fit on the coilovers you eventually buy, then these should fit as well.

Archived