LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

to answer questions about this swap

wiring is easy actually.. a 12 foot long pigtail from megasquirt is 70 $ about. all the wires are labeled. needs about 10-12 wires to make the engine run. a few extras to make the stock dash work. it took me a bit to figure things out to make the stock ecm happy.

for a gutted car it would be simple as any engine

mine mpgs are the same as it was with the 2.5gt engine.

power output probably 650 hp at 20-25 lbs boost. and little over 700 ft lbs tq.

the engine is a 200$ engine, pistons 400$ head gaskets 160 $ and a cam 270$ valve springs 80$

megasquirt 1 is enough to run as fast as you could ever want. 157$ for the kit that needs to be soldered together ~250$ for a ready to go kit.

other than that the headers and up pipe need to be fabricated.

and the subaru accessorys are used

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ well i did it because mine went. i fixed it and then it went again because of other issues.

at 30+ hour rebuild time i was not having fun..

so it was go to a junk yard and get a used one for 3k$ +

or put some thing that i know was good and easy as shit to repair.

power output probably 650 hp at 20-25 lbs boost. and little over 700 ft lbs tq.

That has to be a record holder on the 5eat, right?

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Power record most likely still goes to FRKevin, who has F1 VB, built transmission from IPT, a GT40r on E85, and no slipping.

Just visited Frank_ster again couple days ago; car is awesome!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

^ how much power was he making ?

edit : looks like 500 whp ,,

mine easily makes 450 ft lbs torque at 14 lbs boost from 3000 rpm to about 5000.

the 2.5 gt with the gt 40 turbo has the advantage of being able to rev a reving motor can make more hp with less torque. and torque the limiting factor for trans missions not rpm.

so its almost like comparing a diesel to a motorcycle engine.

Edited by frank_ster

^ how much power was he making ?

edit : looks like 500 whp ,,

mine easily makes 450 ft lbs torque at 14 lbs boost from 3000 rpm to about 5000.

the 2.5 gt with the gt 40 turbo has the advantage of being able to rev a reving motor can make more hp with less torque. and torque the limiting factor for trans missions not rpm.

so its almost like comparing a diesel to a motorcycle engine.

He can spool it up at the top of 3rd, then be able to shift into 4th and 5th, full boost. In that situation (regarding 4th and 5th) it's more of a fair comparison.

However, I agree with you that you can make a lot more torque than he can at highway speeds in 4th and 5th, so that could be it.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 2 weeks later...

i'm really thinking about going water to air intercooler..

main reason is the front mount intercooler restricts a lot of air flow to the a/c and engine rad. a water to air radiator with the same surface area and same effective cooling capability would be about 1/3 rd the size.

would make the front bumper sit nicer with the fog lights back in and the charge pipes would be a bit nicer. and i already have the water to air intercooler and pump.

and the a/c cooled water has always been a intriguing thing for me ..

Next week end i'm gonna pull it in for spring servicing, i got thinner head gaskets to improve the quench gap and raise the compression a bit for better idle, low end and hope fully economy. the headers and up pipe i will header wrap to get the under hood temps down. my up pipe has a crack in it so i will weld it up. ( at the time when i made it i used mig and ground down instead of tig with the correct stainless filler.)

and i have a revision to my motor mounts currently poly urethane its a bit stiff it sends some vibration into the car, so i'm actually using cavalier table bushings for 7$ each as motor mounts in this new revision.

if i have extra time i will put the propane tank in run a few lines to the front and start testing with that.

and if i have a lot of extra time i want to make a couple exhaust butterflys i want to block one muffler 95% and the other about 60%, i want it quieter if i can do it. the butterflys will be either boost or vacuum actuated so at wot or 5 lbs boost they will open up.

the head gaskets change will be about an hour job its so easy on a push rod engine :)

and the rest be a few more hours.

look at what i found !

corvette swaped to turbo buick engine and gets better mpg's than a v6 van.

http://roguevette.com/

Yea, but how does it do in the snow?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I might actually be near Montreal on business in the next few weeks.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I have a friend, whos father has a grand national v6 with a blown turbo. Boy would I love to tear it down and throw it into an older wagon. :drool:

uh change the turbo core its like 70$ and drive the gn..

get a 150$ motor from scrap yard and put in your car :D

• 1 month later...

updated to newest ms3 firmware!

few cool new features like high power time enrichment where the car will richem up if your pulling a hill or doing a top speed run to better cool the pistons.

me like :)