LegacyGT.com

Cleaning Leather Interior question

NO NO NO NO.....................

The leather wipes MIGHT be ok, test them out first on a small part to make sure that they dont stain etc. Also NEVER use armorall at all in the car IMHO. It might look great but its a PITA to clean off later.

Adam.

I used Meguiar's Gold Class Leather wipes for the seats and the plastic. I go back over the plastic with a soft towel to remove the excess and the 'shine'.

Moved to 'Detailing'

Wipes are good for a quick shine, but for real protection and conditioning you can't do better than an actual lotion.

Imagine that your hands are super dry. Would you grab a bottle of lotion or a pack of wet wipes? Which is going to solve the dryness problem better? The wipes might do the trick for a minute, but for healing and real conditioning you need the lotion. Your leather is no different. You would do well to get a bottle of lotion for real leather care. Use the wipes between conditioning, but I wouldn't use them as a substitute for proper leather care.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

What is in a wipe? The same stuff that comes in the bottle that I pour onto a rag and wipe onto my seats. I have several bottles of Lexol I haven't touched because wipes are quicker and easier to deal with.

Not necessarily true. Its diluted quite a bit on the wipe so that it will soak into the whole stack when they pour it into the container. The wipes are put in dry and then conditioner is poured in after. It soaks into the wipes before you buy them. A real lotion wouldn't do that. The stuff in the lexol spray bottles might be closer to what is actually in the wipes, but even that isn't as good as a real lotion. If you want to condition your leather with something that smells like goat urine (Lexol) twice as often as a conditioner that smells like leather, then I guess that is fine. If Lexol didn't smell so bad then I'll bet more people would use it. Its a very respectable product. It just isn't as effective as a lotion.

OCDETAILS BLOG

yeah i remember leatherique from back in the day. it's supposed to be really good ... but really nasty. basically, you rub it on and wait ... and wait ... and wait until it forms a gunky blackish layer (which is supposedly all the crap trapped in the pores).

putting a trash bag on and sitting on it is not a good idea. you're pressure grinding the stuff back in.

side note, that website has terrible before/after comparisons. they take some super trashed seat from an old jag ... FIX the leather and then condition it. those pictures don't lead to higher confidence in the product.

I've never used the leather conditioner from Leatherique. I've seen the leather repair product that they sell, and those are nothing short of amazing. Its not cheap to get the stuff you need to repair the cracked and dried out leather some cars end up having, but its worth it considering the worth of the seats in the overall value of the car. If their leather conditioner is anything like the other products then it is probably very good stuff. I'll have to get some and try it out.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I've never used the leather conditioner from Leatherique. I've seen the leather repair product that they sell, and those are nothing short of amazing. Its not cheap to get the stuff you need to repair the cracked and dried out leather some cars end up having, but its worth it considering the worth of the seats in the overall value of the car. If their leather conditioner is anything like the other products then it is probably very good stuff. I'll have to get some and try it out.

its the real deal. i have tried pretty much everything, too. my 928 had a TON of leather in it (seats, doors, side panels, etc.), and i found out about this stuff on another forum.

of course, i'm getting a Legacy GT with no leather. :rolleyes::lol:

wanna buy some Leatherique stuff. :D

Archived