LegacyGT.com

wheel bearing price differences..? so lost!

akimbo_kaeli

I took my 2008 Subaru Legacy (60k miles) to the shop today, where they said the loud humming noise I was hearing at speeds above 50 mph and only when turning right was most likely a wheel bearing. (see previous thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ridiculous-tire-noise-only-turning-righti-139744.html) The tech said, however, that he couldn't get any play out of the wheel at all so he was not 100 percent sure.

He said if I want it replaced, it would probably cost $250 or so. Another place that I trust more gave me the same price. Then I spoke to someone who quoted me $330, but said that the two other places are most likely using inferior bearings that will crap out on me after six months, whereas he uses NAPA parts that are top of the line and apparently have a warranty. They also cost about $100 more, he said.

The guy at the first place I took it to said that since there was no play in the wheel, he could not be sure that it was a bearing and that I could either risk spending the money to have something that doesn't need to be replaced, replaced, or I could wait a week or two and see if it gets worst. Currently there is no vibration that accompanies the noise - just a loud, annoying hum.

The problem with waiting a week or two is that I am going on a long 600+ road trip through some nice windy New Hampshire roads in five days and really don't want to get stuck in the backwoods with a busted car halfway there or back.

I don't know what to do! Is the high priced guy lying? Should I pre-emptively replace it or wait? Any thoughts?

Let me start from the begining. I would be very weary taking your car to the mechanic who thinks he is going to be getting play from your wheel bearing. This is not how our wheelbearings work they are a sealed assembly with the axle going through the middle which will prevent any sort of play noticable.To diagnos this properly he should have your car on the lift with someone in it, bring the car up to 50 mph and use a stethascope to hear which hub its coming from although I was able to diagnose mine without a stethascope (it was very loud). The loud humming which your hearing @ 50 mph and most likely gets louder with increased speed is definetly your wheel bearing you will not get any vibration.

I drove around for way to long with a wheel bearing that needed replacement, don't worry your car will not break down in any way shape or form because you have a bad wheel bearing.

If you are mechanically inclined replacement of the hub assembly doesn't take more than 30 min, there is a great walkthrough on this site about that. I would say it would take me an hour or so if it were the first time performing the work. I would suggest getting your parts from FredBeansparts, high quality materials and unbeatable prices.

I am assuming you have a 05+ Legacy, I believe previous ones didn't have a sealed assembly and require packing of grease into the bearing for replacement

[...]I don't know what to do! Is the high priced guy lying? Should I pre-emptively replace it or wait? Any thoughts?

Yes. See akimbo_kaeli's comment for detail. I haven't had any experience with a bad wheel bearing so I can't comment if you should be replacing it now or later, but a big red flag went off in my head when your high-price guy said that he'd be getting parts from NAPA. Why does he have to get off-brand stuff at the local auto parts store? Can he not order actual Subaru parts? If he can't, you sure can (for $120):

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-legacy-gt-front-wheel-bearing.html

• 11 months later...
Apparently my rr wheel bearing is bad and it is making allot of noise, my lr is making a little noise as well. I have an 07 legacy 2.5i and the wheel bearings on fred beans say they are for legacy gt's. Are there any differences in the bearings used for the N/A and the turbo models? Also for 20 more dollars I can go pick up a wheel bearing and hub assembly at NAPA same day, is there really any difference in quality? Especially since my stock parts are failing at 65000 miles I am not sure I want another genuine subaru part if it is gonna need replacing in 65000 miles again.

Isnt there a TSB out for the wheel bearings? Or is this just for the 05/06 model years. I have a 07 LGT with the humming noise coming from the rear passenger side. Im about to go to the dealer to see if it would be covered under the TSB but not gonna waste my time if thats not the case.

The only TSB's I see for our 07's is ECM re programs for better efficiency. Mine has to go in for the latest one which has to do with engine start up's in cold weather. Also I guess there is one for the caliper hardware but if you arent having issues I am guessing yours is ok. Not a bad idea to take it to the dealer and have them run the vin number just to make sure though. I registered my car with SOA through the dealer when I got it and now I get the TSB's in the mail and coupons from the dealer on discount services (which are still rip offs lol). As for the humming noise I am experiencing the same thing and I took my car to firestone and for 20 bucks they put it on the lift and checked all my wheel bearings and said definitely thr rr was making noise and also the lr was making some slight noise as well. I would suggest going to a place like that if possible.

Wheel bearings are the same for 2.5i and LGT. I had to replace both front ones recently. Bought both hub assembly's from Fred Beans. Paid to have one installed and installed the other myself. The one I installed was a PITA. The hub seized and it came out in pieces over the course of about 5 hours.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Thats what I have been hearing (the hubs are a PITA). I might just have my cousin do it for me, although I dont believe he has a puller either so if its seized we will be in the same boat anyway. Yeah I just dont get how a hub assembly can be 120 with shipping at fred beans and it is 150 in napa or 170 at the dealer or 194 (I was quoted this) at firestone.

The hub assembly's that you get from fred beans are the wheel bearing and hub together in a sealed unit right? I think they are all like that right? I ask because the pictures look kinda decieving on fred beans's website.

Yes, it's the bearing in the hub assembly.

See if your dealer will price match. My local dealers are $150 for the hub assembly do even after shipping Fred Beans is $20 cheaper.

You might want to pick up some caliper bracket bolts. Mine could have been reused, but were a little questionable so I replaced them.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Ok thanks for the tip soloz2, I will pick some up just in case. Ok now onward. Friday=tires and next week= wheel bearing/bearings hopefully. Oh I will ask the dealer if they will price match but I doubt it because they want 170 for the rears and like 150 for the fronts.

• Mega Users
damn at 63000 miles, and after my last rotation my tires have been noisy as hell and now it could be the wheel bearings? subaru needs to step their game up
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

damn at 63000 miles, and after my last rotation my tires have been noisy as hell and now it could be the wheel bearings? subaru needs to step their game up

Yup mine started making noise at like 60k and I thought it was the tires as well but come to find out it is the wheel bearings in the rear. I have 65k on it now. The noise was just to loud to be tires because the tires werent showing any signs of funny wear or anything. Now when I have the windows down I can distinguish the small whine from my tires and the wheel bearing sound. I guess my grandfather spoke the truth when he said plan on putting a thousand dollars into your car the first year you have it if you buy used.

Isnt there a TSB out for the wheel bearings? Or is this just for the 05/06 model years. I have a 07 LGT with the humming noise coming from the rear passenger side. Im about to go to the dealer to see if it would be covered under the TSB but not gonna waste my time if thats not the case.

TSB is for all 2005 cars and some 2006 cars...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/24/921208/03-58-08%20-%20Subaru%20Rear%20Wheel%20Bearing%20TSB.pdf

This is an actual copy of the TSB in case you want to read it.

TSB is for all 2005 cars and some 2006 cars...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/24/921208/03-58-08%20-%20Subaru%20Rear%20Wheel%20Bearing%20TSB.pdf

This is an actual copy of the TSB in case you want to read it.

Yeah I was under the impression that the TSB covered 2005 + Legacys... but was wrong. I was hoping it was for 05 + cars... that way I wouldnt have to pay to get mine replaced lol.

• Mega Users
i do have a funny wear pattern on the wheel where the noise is coming from. I'm hoping that its just the tire and my lack of rotations. But hearing all of this it seems as if it very well could be the wheel bearing. I'm gonna throw new tires on next week and see if it goes away.
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

^ Maybe the dealer can inspect and prove it is a wheelbearing malfunction? If all the other tires are around the same tread depth and this one is junk it might not be the tires themselves. Then again I am not a mechanic so what I just said may sound stupid?

Mike, that's per each bearing right? After leaving last night, I had the windows down and I noticed a constant squealing/whistling coming from what sounded like my front left wheel. I could only hear it when I was in the left lane on Parkway, where I'm assuming the sound is bouncing off the concrete divider making it more audible to me.

I also noticed the squealing/whistling when I'm driving down a narrow street where the sound bounces off other cars, the curb and houses. Is this an indication of the wheel bearings going?

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Archived