LegacyGT.com

wheel bearing price differences..? so lost!

akimbo_kaeli

My girlfriends 2008 2.5i has been making a really bad humming noise from the rear. It has 97,000 miles on it. I raised the car up looking for any play in the rear wheel bearings. But found none. Its been steadily getting worse. She says it gets louder when she turns right and quieter when she turns left. I found the tsb for only 05/06. But obviously subaru had not fixed the problem. Do you think there is any chance to dealer will replace the wheel bearings. Or should i just go ahead and order some and install them. Ive done a few wheel bearing replacements. On subarus ive had. Mostly foresters. All of them had obvious play when i raised them up and wiggled the wheel. What brands are recomended. I dont want to be doing this again in another 50,000.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Call a dealership. Subaru issued a TSB and extended the warranty to 100k miles so you should be covered (assuming your VIN is in the range). Let them do it for free.

Otherwise, order an OEM one from FredBeans. They're not terrible but can be a pain in the ass depending on how much rust/corrosion you have everywhere.

Called a dealership they said that there were no issues with the 08 legacy wheel bearings and that the issue was fixed in 06. They could do nothing without SOA getting involved. I called SOA spent 40 min on hold talked to someone. Explained the situation. Got a case number. They said to bring it in to a dealership and have it looked at have them make a report and email it to SOA. So i called the dealership back and explained what SOA said and the said it would be a 97$ diagnostic fee. I said thats the cost of one of the wheel bearings. I told her nevermind and i just ordered the wheel bearings. Im not paying a dealership 100$ so they can tell me what i already know and "maybe fix it" if i whine and complain and make a scene. Also 97$ an hour for diagnostics is rediculous. Does it really take a whole hour to lift the car check for play and take the car for a test drive to hear the hum? It took me 20 min to raise the vehicle with the scissor jack in her driveway.

Just out of curiosity could someone with a 05 legacy give me the part number for their rear wheel bearing. Im just curious if its the exact same one as an 08. I wonder if their really fixing the issue ie using a different wheel bearing or just putting a new one in of the same type that failed and hoping it stays quiet until after the warranty is up.

They did change the wheel bearings to an updated part number.

As for a $95 diagnostic fee, that's fairly normal. For a dealership $95 is less than 1 hour of billable time. If Subaru ended up covering it the diagnostics would be waived.

I suppose that you have never run a shop or any business for that matter. If the dealership "checked out" every car that came through for everyone who thinks they hear a noise, they would be bankrupt in a month.

Putting the car up and looking for play with these bearings will likely not be a good test anyway. We've found that the whine and change in pitch with turning left and right/weaving is the best way to diagnose this issue. It's a relatively quick/easy fix though since they are bolt-in bearings as opposed to press-in style.

-mike

Archived