LegacyGT.com

Anyone know what gas was used to get OEM hp figures?

We all (should) know the manual calls for 91 octane. are the numbers slightly higher on 93 octane? where i live i have not seen 91. seen 92 at one wawa store, so my car has only seen 93 octane. does that imply jersey cars in particular are pushing a tad more than the stated 243 HP?

Higher octane does not equal more horsepower, if the higher octane is not needed. Higher octane would allow you to push more boost safely, which would obviously result in more power, but if you are talking stock vs. stock and only 91 is required, 93 should net the same.

We all (should) know the manual calls for 91 octane. are the numbers slightly higher on 93 octane? where i live i have not seen 91. seen 92 at one wawa store, so my car has only seen 93 octane. does that imply jersey cars in particular are pushing a tad more than the stated 243 HP?

Wow only 243hp, you got ripped. my 05 came with 250hp.

I believe most of the north east has 93.

I think the left coast get's 91.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Most NA cars won't see a difference. Turbos are bale to use the octane better than an NA car can.

Our ECU's are capable of adding timing when no knock is present. Under some conditions, 91 can knock and cause the ecu to pull timing. If 93 is used and the knocking stops, the ecu will add timing past it's starting point, increasing power.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Same engine, same HP, the SAE measument specs changed.

Yes, I knew that...I was just busting stones. Thanks. :)

I believe SpecB's have the same HP just suspension changes (?)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Most NA cars won't see a difference. Turbos are bale to use the octane better than an NA car can.

Our ECU's are capable of adding timing when no knock is present. Under some conditions, 91 can knock and cause the ecu to pull timing. If 93 is used and the knocking stops, the ecu will add timing past it's starting point, increasing power.

That's great, but under most conditions, if the car is recommended to run 91, you won't get knock on 91. Your scenario is only relevant if you get a bad tank of 91, or you've modded the car so that it requires a higher octane than factory.;)

The ecu pulls timing if knock is present, it does not add timing if no knock is present. If no knock is present, it runs the timing as per the factory ignition mapping, there is no extra timing beyond full timing advance just because there is no knock.

On a 95 degree day, you're gonna knock on 91.

Reset ECU, dynamic advance is 0. Drive a bunch and no knock... dynamic advance adds timing past the starting point, making more power

Whatever, timing advances to infinity and everyone could benefit from running 116 octane.:rolleyes:

If you unplug the battery you have to set the time on the clock again too, that doesn't mean it doesn't keep time. "12:00" is not the starting point for time, lol. We are discussing an engine operating under normal conditions, not a situation where the ecu needs to re-learn it's operating parameters.

Ok, first off, this is why I said

theoretically, yes.

And your clock comparison is stupid. Yes, a second is still a second, but it may take 30 miles of driving before the ECU begins to advance timing.

The car requires 91 to get the EPA power numbers. That's how the testing works. If you use 93, the car CAN make more power. Not WILL make more power.

Know what, I'm not even gonna argue about this. Do your homework and you'll get the answer for yourself.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Ok, first off, this is why I said

And your clock comparison is stupid. Yes, a second is still a second, but it may take 30 miles of driving before the ECU begins to advance timing.

The car requires 91 to get the EPA power numbers. That's how the testing works. If you use 93, the car CAN make more power. Not WILL make more power.

Know what, I'm not even gonna argue about this. Do your homework and you'll get the answer for yourself.

And I said "Higher octane does not equal more horsepower, if the higher octane is not needed.", to which you replied with a delightful video indicating that I was wrong.

My homework is handed in, graded, and stuck on the fridge.:lol:

Higher octane does not equal more horsepower, if the higher octane is not needed.

It is not NEEDED, but it is usable. The ECU will advance timing and make more power than on 91.

That's great, but under most conditions, if the car is recommended to run 91, you won't get knock on 91.

The factory tune is by no means a perfect tune. Some cars never knock, some knock like crazy right outta the showroom. I'd be willing to wager that there are more stock cars out there pulling timing than there are ones adding it.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I would argue that we all need to just breathe...

Here's what I do. I pull up to the pump...I hit the highest number there is (91,93, who cares?), and then I appreciate how great my Subaru drives all the way to point B.

Archived