LegacyGT.com

97 Legacy outback overheating

Bought this car, 97 legacy outback 2.5, a few weeks ago and had it overheat on the way home because the radiator cap was loose. A few days later I was driving and i noticed that my car was overheating so I went the mile home, got there to find the reservoir full. Let it cool down and the radiator resucked all of the fluid out of the radiator. I stopped today for maybe fifteen minutes, got back in and started driving, not even five minutes later I noticed my temp guage showed me over heating. Pulled into a gas station popped my hood and there was antifreeze coming out of the reservoir all over the ground. Fueled up, after my tank was full the radiator had sucked all of the fluid back into the radiator and filled it back up. Added somemore coolant to the reservoir and turn my car on to find the temp was fine. Drove around making several stops all afternoon. After I got to my final stop started my car and started driving and noticed I was starting to overheat. I let it get to 90% on the guage before I turned on the heater which was pumping HOT air and regulated out the temp guage. After I turnned off the hot air my temp was fine and stayed fine for the fourty minute drive home. I did notice there is some sludge in the reservoir and the guys records show he replaced the radiator three months ago. Any ideas? Besides replace the headgasket. Anything I can test to see if it's the thermostat?

Thanks,

Willy

no matter where you live removing the thermostat is not a good idea. it may result in increased coolant flow (not good) and engine may never reach operating temp (poor fuel economy. you may have had a bad water pump, but also may have head gaskets just starting to fail. overheating in the beginning can be very intermitant.

tom

Archived