LegacyGT.com

'92 Legacy trans acting weird

I just purchased an A/T 1992 Legacy wagon with only 137k for a STEAL. I have plans to lift it, etc but right now I need to get it in better running condition. Changed the air filter, spark plugs, alternator/steering belt, oil and oil filter so far. I am also going to change the transmission filter and fluid soon.

It feels like it shifts weird, and when I "stomp" on the gas it doesn't GO, kinda just creeps up there. It sort of chugs and jerks and it will often die when I come to a stop. But then sometimes it drives fine, it just gets up to around 5, or 5500 when it finally shifts. Until I can get the codes pulled I am not really sure where to start looking to solve this problem. The previous owner said it drove just fine and the last time she drove it was in February '10, then it sat outside until I bought it. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

Manual swap lol

Revving the engine to 5 grand all the time isn't really great on it. Unfortunately if that's where your transmission will let you shift I think it's time for a new one. You may be able to find one in a junk yard, but it's not guaranteed to work. Cheap cars get cheap parts in my opinion.

Manual swap lol

Revving the engine to 5 grand all the time isn't really great on it. Unfortunately if that's where your transmission will let you shift I think it's time for a new one. You may be able to find one in a junk yard, but it's not guaranteed to work. Cheap cars get cheap parts in my opinion.

It's not being driven much at all. When getting it to my house from previous owner's is when I noticed the 5k shifting. I still have a lot of things to try before deciding on a new trans.

You could always try a flush, but make sure you completely clean the old crap out of the system and change the filter. If you dont change the filter it'll plug with all of the old crap and the transmission will fail.

It shouldn't shift at 5K. The computer may be primitive, but at full throttle it should know better. Normal shift points with Power Mode is 6,700 RPM. The car might be in limp mode, or there might be engine troubles. There is no reason the transmission should cause the car to stall when you stop...

Unless the torque converter isn't unlocking causing the car to do lots of things.

If the torque converter clutch is stuck, it could potentially explain the shift point issues. The computer will tell the transmission when to shift based on info it gets from the TPS sensor, tach, and Speed Sensor. If the torque converter is locked, it will prevent any slipping inside the torque converter, effectively turning the torque converter into a clutch. If its stuck, the RPM's will stay lower than normal, causing the engine to stay further away from its peak powerband, making it feel slow. It will also cause it to shift early, since the torque converter isn't slipping like it should under heavy acceleration. Not only that, but it will make shifting a living nightmare, since the torque converter is still locked. This will cause bucking, hesitation, and extremely hard shifting, almost as though the transmission SLAMS into gears, potentially chirping tires between gears on occasion. If the torque converter is stuck, driving it is the only hope you have to get it unstuck.

I'm still not set on the torque converter being stuck because I've never seen one do such a thing with my own eyes, but it is possible. Plus it would have a real hard time idling in drive if the converter were stuck. Check transmission fluid and do a flush with a new filter. Before you do, just keep driving the car. Make sure the transmission gets fully warmed up. This can take up to 15 miles depending on the temperature outside. Maintain a steady RPM and DON'T play around with the throttle too much. Keep it slow and steady, a long stretch of road is ideal. Maintain AT LEAST 45 MPH. Under these circumstances (Steady throttle, warm transmission fluid, 45+ MPH) the torque converter should lock. you'll know it because when you blip the throttle the tachometer won't move. If you can blip the throttle while driving and the tach rises more than 250 RPM, the torque converter isn't the issuel. If it stays planted right where it is then it's locked. When I say blip, I mean give the car a tiny amount of throttle for just a split second. Too much throttle and the car will unlock the torque converter in preparation of acceleration. Usually when it locks there will be a small thud and a SLIGHT jerk, so slight that you'll probably miss it unless you're used to it. If all else fails, flush the transmission and replace the filter. There is a tube on the valve body of the transmission under the tranny pan that you must remove. This tube dumps a shitload of tranny fluid, so watch your eyes. :lol:

Good luck! :)

Archived