LegacyGT.com

Clutch Noise 5MT

Jmhm17

Anyone know what this noise is? I have searched around for it but have not found any thing.. the pedal feels very spongy as well.. I have almost 20K on the clock, the noise started a couple weeks ago. it goes away and comes back mostly when I do alot of driving it starts to make noise again. Im not sure if the sound is coming from the trany (kinda sounds like the pressure plate) or the back of the pedal.

I did have somthing simmilar when i first got the car it was a clicking sound/feel in the pedal when it was released - now this is happeing..

http://yfrog.com/0dmov03028z

^^ Click for Video ^^

oh and the sound is there weather or not the car is on or off..

I have more videos if need be but i figured this would be sufficient.

have had the same noise for a year now...sometimes for a day it will go away only to reappear. Annoying as hell and would love for someone who understands clutch linkages to show me what needs lubrimicatin :)

If you look at this picture you'll see a pivot (#3) that the release lever (#4) pivots on. You can try a small bit of Moly grease on it. You'll need to pull the TMIC and the dust cover #1. Also a bit of grease at the top of the lever where the slave piston pushes on the lever. If that doesn't fix it then it is either the release bearing sliding on the tranny input shaft housing or the pressure plate, both of which requires pulling the tranny out.

Yeah I was redirected to this post, and that was the same sound I had. The fix was a little silicone spray on the master cylinder pushrod that is above the gas pedal. There is a rubber grommet that it goes through on the firewall and thats what was making the exact same sound in my car. The clutch pedal linkage goes from the left side where the pedal is to the right above the pedal where it actuates the master cylinder.

If you pull that plastic cover under the steering wheel and look above the gas pedal when pressing the clutch with your hand you will see what Im talking about. The sound was killing me because it seemed to come from the large spring on the left side near the top of the clutch pedal. But as soon as I sprayed the pushrod it was dead silent.

well i had an appointment today at the scooby ship and they said it sounds like the pressure plate, so they are replacing it and maybe the TOB as well, i'm wonder if i should just buy a clutch plate and have them swap that too since they are going to be in there anyways..

i mentioned that it may be something as simple as greasing the pivot point, and there reply was that if it was that, the noise would be consistent through out the depressing of the clutch.. so whatever.. its a free repair, i just hope they put it all back together the right way and i don't have any issues down the road from them taking it out and putting it back in..

I wouldn't worry about replacing the whole clutch at only 20,000 miles. You should be good for quite a while longer. Then again, maybe they'll check it for you and let you know if it needs replacing.

Please report back!

Cheers!

right thats what im thinking, but a co-worker did bring a valid point, he said if the pressure plate is in fact messed up it could be prematurly wearing the clutch with out me knowing. I am kind of on the fence now on what I want to do.. I'll def bring it up to the dealer when i drop it off..

ill keep yall updated..

so i talked to the dealer and they are giving me a new pressure plate, clutch, and TOB.. hopfuly they grease the pivot since i think thats the problem anyways, but im not going to complain about getting a new clutch for free :)

So I got a new clutch, TOB, and PP.. and i think they greased the pivot, whatever they did the noise is gone and the clutch feels 100 times better. they said the presure plate was wearing the clutch unevenly somthing was not lined up right from the sounds of it because the clutch feels way better now, where as before i had to press it further to the floor to engage the clutch now it stops where as before it would go another inch or 2..

• 1 month later...
hey I thought I updated this but i guess not. well the problem came back exactly a week to the day that i got everything replaced. and now a month later the noise is still there. I think I am going to take it apon my self and just grease the damn thing and see if it goes away. stay tuned news @ 11....

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

First, thanks to all for the great insight into this problem.

I'm at 72K miles and had the same problem. Car would get warm and I had the same noise as in the video (car on or off) until the car cooled down. Dealer tried lubing slave cylinder piston and the clutch fork pivot, but that didn't help. They pulled the transmission and said that it was the TOB causing the noise. TOB was replaced under my extended warranty. Clutch still grabs great, so I didn't have anything else replaced. The pedal feels much nicer now which is probably a combination of the new TOB and whatever they lubed in the replacement process. In my case, I think dschultz nailed it with "release bearing sliding on the tranny input shaft..." It's been almost 2 weeks and the noise has not come back yet. If it comes back I'll post an update.

Archived