LegacyGT.com

ej22 sohc to ej25 dohc

I didn't search, but I found a ej25 DOHC whcih i would like to swap in with ym ej22 SOHC, Is there any way my ecu will be plug and play? I am looking at the motor tomorrow the 20th. If it is a plug and play deal i will get it, because i currently have bad rings on ym 22 just put 2 k into everything but the shortlbokc and it's still missfiring in the third cylinder. Rather than me putting new rings ona motor i've beat on i would rather buy this 25 with updated HG's, timing belt, new water and oil pump and be on my way with a 2.5. Please let me know if they will merge, or if i will have problems because of the head difference.

I haven't heard that the harness will merge before; I've thought about doing the swap too, but was always afraid that it wouldn't be plug and play. from my limited knowledge, I don't think the two will merge, but I can't confirm that. I might have a 2.5 harness on my 2.2 now for all I know :spin:

Yeah, I have found 2.5 complete motor with 74k on the clock and new HG's, TB, resurfaced heads, oil and water pump as well as many gaskets and seals replaced. It's fairly cheap so i don't want to pass up a good opportunity to gain some power. I just need to know if all the electrical will work!

Im sure it will. There is a guy on SL-I.net I talked to awhile back saying he used his 2.2 ECU at for the first 15-20 minutes it will run like shit and then smooth out. But switch over to the 2.5 ECU later down the road for more power?

yeah i noticed the placement of the coilpack is different, did that make a difference for your swap? I am also running a phase 2 ej22 for 99, which has a air flow plug not the cone maf. I am looking at the engine tomorrow,so i am rushing to find out information if the swap will work. Everything i find is saying it will..

The 1999 EJ22 motor is NOT plug and play compatible with previous years EJ22 or for that matter the 1996-99 DOHC EJ25 motor. You will need to find another EJ22 1999+ motor to swap.

Previous years EJ22 will swap with the EJ25 though.

interesting, do you know why the 99 ej22's won't match up with earlier model ej25's? Is it because of the MAF on the intake, instead of it being a cylinder cone MAF it's the plug.. it seems as thought the 99 phase 2 engines are a pain to swap with a lot of the other subaru parts..

interesting, do you know why the 99 EJ22's won't match up with earlier model ej25's? Is it because of the MAF on the intake, instead of it being a cylinder cone MAF it's the plug.. it seems as though the 99 phase 2 engines are a pain to swap with a lot of the other subaru parts..
Umm.. because the connectors are completely different ?

I suspect they made the different connectors as the ECU has been changed for the different intake / MAF vs MAP sensors (?) stuff like that. You just *might* be able to mix and match to get an EJ25 motor to run in your EJ22 engine bay, but it sure isn't going to be a simple plug in.

Short answer: No. The ECUs are different as are the crank, cam and timing sensors on the two models.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived