LegacyGT.com

My LGT wagon install: Part 3 (front doors)

msmith

I'm drawing up my little plan, but I'm not sure about the rear speakers. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Cleansweep

250/1 driving 10W6

300/4 driving XR650CSi in front, and either XR525CXi or XR650CXi in the back.

Dynamat as much as I can

Which setup would be best for the back considering both installation and performance?

I'm planning this as part of a bigger project that will include a mac mini and either a 7" in-dash screen or a 10" that lives in the glovebox and has a manual mount near the dash. (This would allow complete removal for the nights when it gets to 30 below zero here.)

EDIT: Size of the sub is a strong factor for me. What is the smallest enclosure I could realistically use for the 10W6? Would there be a better (smaller) sub with comparable performance? (Overall sound quality is more important to me than extreme bass.)

I would run XR650-CXi (coaxials) in the front. They will image better than the components (trust me, I've tried it). This will save you about $100.00, too. You can run the same speakers in the rear doors. Dynamat is a must (see my rear door post for ideas).

The 10W6 is ideal in very small sealed enclosures. 0.6 - 0.65 cu.ft. net volume. It's a great sounding woofer and it would be hard to get better performance in such a small box.

You may want to consider the 500/5 amplifier, which gives you 100 watts x 2 to the front, 25 x 2 to the rears (plenty) and 250 watts to the sub... all in one package.

Awesome setup.

Good luck!

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Hey were do you think I should put the rear tweeter.

Without cutting? You would need to fabricate a bridge to mount it in front of the component woofer which might be tricky with grille clearances and such. I would use a coax, if possible.

Thanks Manville!

Going to the coaxials and the 500/5 will save some space and money. Where would you mount the amp? I think you mentioned adding some venting for your tire-well installation, which I don't think will work for me. (Often carry heavy and wet gear in the back, as well as a perpetually shedding husky, so the plastic tray is pretty important.)

I imagine the sub going behind the rear seat, probably with a fitted, secured stand to hold it an inch or two off the plastic. If the stand was high enough, would mounting the amp upside-down under the shelf work? (See attachment - rough idea of what I'm thinking.)

Getting more excited by the day...

SubAmpMounting.jpg.af06b0817371926ebf44256ae01bea80.jpg

Upside down is usually bad, as the heatsinks will be below the circuit board (heat rises) - this becomes less of an issue if the amp is fan-cooled. There might be ample room in the wagon to mount the amp vertically on the right side. You can build a panel to mount to, which would cover the pocket there.

cHe...

The scale of your photoshop job is way off... the box is actually bigger than that in relation to your hatch. As for the amp mount, I would have to recommend that you not mount it the way you describe if you can avoid it. At the very least mount it right side up and preferably not with the enclosure right over it. A lot of people mount amps to the back of the rear seat. It's a shame you can't use the spare tire well space... I used some fairly small vents in my well cover... I'll post some pics later this week.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Manville -

I'll be very interested to see your vent setup. Maybe I could make something work with that would allow air and heat out, but prevent water from dripping onto the amp or cables. Is your cleansweep mounted, there, as well, or closer to the head unit?

Thanks again - bill

ps. I figured the scale was off, but I was sitting at work trying to envision it. Just got home and took some measurements - I definitely need to find another option.

Manville -

I'll be very interested to see your vent setup. Maybe I could make something work with that would allow air and heat out, but prevent water from dripping onto the amp or cables. Is your cleansweep mounted, there, as well, or closer to the head unit?

Thanks again - bill

ps. I figured the scale was off, but I was sitting at work trying to envision it. Just got home and took some measurements - I definitely need to find another option.

Bill - if it helps, I think I still have a 12v 'squirrel fan' sitting in my garage. It is perfect for an undercover install......helps to keep the air moving. Let me know if you might need it.....yours for the asking if I still have it.

• 1 year later...

Archived