LegacyGT.com

No power steering

bingo. is the abs light on and the gauges not working?

what year is yours? if the battery and brake are on, you're not getting any power from the alternator. it's a funny thing to think about: battery is bad, you must brake. but yeah, mine was like that where things started dropping dead. but my power steering didn't go first; it was the abs light. then the gauges. then the hvac controls...then I stopped because it was freaking me out haha.

leakage? and why would a bad alternator cause this. the power steering works of the belts. the name power steering dont mean what most would consider power. it should be called assisted steering

Fluid level is full? Any major leak that you can see around the power steering pump/reservoir. This is kind of a common problem to see a leak on our cars in this location. Is the pulley seized up? You would probably hear the belt squealing and smell burning rubber if this was the case. I don't know much about power steering but figured I would make sure you checked the basics first.

yeah that's what doesn't make sense; the psteering is all off of belts. I know that code with a battery and brake means that there's a bad electrical issue somewhere, but it might be for more than one thing too. hmm...maybe the pump just went bad. it's happened before, but I'm not sure if when it goes bad if the pulley seizes or not.

^wow^ just ate my word 10 minutes later haha.

well checking the belts be sure to take it all the way off. then try turning the pump by hand. wait. can you even turn a working pump buy hand?? also check for bearing play in the pump.

they're under a good amount of tension. what else could it be? if you know there's no power steering, those two dash lights are on...hmm...are you still driving it around places?

It must be the belt. The belt runs around the power steering pump and the alternator. Without the alternator the battery is slowly running down causing the battery warning light to come on. Without the power steering the brake booster isn't working causing the brake warning light to come on.

Everybody's first guess was most likely correct. This issue must be the belt for all three of these symptoms to have happened this close together.

In your quest to fix this problem have you even tried popping the hood?

takes about 15 minutes for anyone with a pulse and a very simple set of metric tools to do.

:lol::lol: many people don't realize the simplicity behind it; for some reason I found that really really funny.

but yes, now that Platinum brings it up, all those symptoms seem to relate back to a belt being out. I'll bet if you keep driving it, the rpms will drop and you'll start losing the abs and other stuff like I was talking about. check the belt, make sure it's spinning everything on that system, and get back to us with what you find.

• 3 years later...
Just had this same problem on my 2005 Legacy GT (~80,000 mi). Noticed yesterday that when I left work the powering steering seemed to be working intermittently when I first took off then worked fine. Left work tonight and had the same problem. I got about 20 miles down the road (luckily, almost home) and the Power Steering went out completely. Also noticed on the dash that the Brake Light and Battery Light had come on. Made it home and pulled into the garage and then noticed a burning smell. Popped the hood and found that I had a broken belt (part of it was still in the engine compartment)! Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Archived